Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How to fix/seal gap around this cooktop gas pipe?

ppp
Having an Impact

How to fix/seal gap around this cooktop gas pipe?

8D21A3FE-988F-40C6-9F54-125CFFFACA6B.jpeg

F18CBD86-E1C2-46E4-A365-AABAA70B94CD.jpeg

F8F09A22-2F5E-4AD4-B680-9C2093D0A418.jpeg

Hello guys,

Found this awkward gap around my cooktop gas pipe in kitchen.And this place is back side of a drawer. Think it is better to seal this gap considering insects. Please suggest me how to do this. As this is gas pipe and power plug near by, should I use only specific materials?

thanks advance and happy new year all

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: how to fix/seal gap around this cooktop gas pipe

Hi @ppp,

Let me tag a few of our members with plumbing experience who might like to share their thoughts with you.

@LePallet@MitchellM@redracer01 

Hope that helps get the discussion started. 

Jason  

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

@ppp Hi there! You are right it would be a good idea to seal the hole, it would have been nice if the gas fitter had installed a cover plate. Unfortunately in order for one to be installed now they would have to return.

Personally I would do a couple of applications of Selley's wet area silicone sealant and build up the gapped area. 

Alternatively you could use some expanda-foam to fill the gap internally, though then that can become quite messy.

Hope that helps.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Hi @ppp and @MitchellM - going back to the cover plate. What about buying the correct one and cutting it in half, then slide each piece in and seal/stick with silicone?Just that trying to fill with silicon can get messy and take a while due to drying times. I agree, expanding foam is going to get messy, and you don’t know how big the cavity is. Cheers Deb :smile:

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

@Mathy I would agree, if you are not proficient at using silicone, cutting a cover plate in half would work. You would probably need to also buy some tinsnips to cut. Was just trying to think of the cheapest route, though your suggestion would look nicest.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

ppp
Having an Impact

Thanks all @Mathy @MitchellM  @Jason for wonderful options. 

Just got a thought, actually I have some plaster board lying around. 

I'm thinking to cut plaster board into some pieces and fit around the pipe then use Gyprock multi compound and jointing tape to attach properly. Of course , will sand it at last. As it is inside drawer, don't worry about painting.

What do you guys think ? Can I use Gyprock around gas pipe ?  

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

@ppp  I'm not a gas fitter, but I have never heard of anything inherently wrong with filling around a gas pipe, whether that is cement  compound or otherwise. My only concern is the gyprock filler compound won't stick to the laminated surface, it'll stick to the internal chipboard though. It is also quite hard to cut curved shapes out of gyprock, it tends to crumble. I could make what you're saying work though, up to  you if you want to give it a go.

Mathy
Becoming a Leader

Excellent idea @ppp - basically, it’s a cosmetic fix, so what you can make work for you, is great :smile:

Steven
Cultivating a Following

Re: How to fix/seal gap around this cooktop gas pipe?

17EC737B-C4E1-4122-9E62-BB07E95290AE.jpeg

I had a similar situation with hot plate power cable, the neatest method would be to use sticky back acrylic sheet. (Nitto)

Cut a slot/hole to fit neatly around pipe leaving the cut to facilitate this in a less conspicuous view. (My cut is behind cable) This method also makes access to pipe easier afterwards If needed. 

JDE
Becoming a Leader

Re: How to fix/seal gap around this cooktop gas pipe?

Im with Steve. Bunnings sell both a Kinetic white flat self adhesive plastic cover plate $1.45 put one cut though it and flex into postion or  plastic self adhesive cover sheet in about a4 size just cut to size. We have successfully used both. You'll find them inthe plumbing section ,James 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects