Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

How can I tile over or cover a glass splashback in the kitchen?

JenniferB
Finding My Feet

How can I tile over or cover a glass splashback in the kitchen?

Hi guys!

The glass splashback in my kitchen was the wrong colour when installed and was going to be too big of a job to take of re plaster and wait for a new splashback to be installed. Just curious if there is a way to tile or cover over the splashback that is fire safe and kitchen friendly :

Thank you in advance :smile:

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Re: How can I tile over or cover a glass splashback in the kitchen?

@JenniferB

I'd be looking at keeping the glass and just changing the colour. I know this is possible as I remember it being one of the selling points when we chose a glass splashback instead of tiles. I think the glass is removed and the back is painted before it is reinstalled again. Probably not a DIY job though...

I had tiles I didn't like so instead of removing them I just tiled straight over them. I can't see why you couldn't just tile straight over the glass if you wanted tiles instead of glass. The glue is pretty strong.

For those looking for advice on tiling a splashback, the Bunnings website has step-by-step instructions.

You might also be interested in this excellent post from @ProjectPete - Kitchen facelift - which includes a subway tile splashback. 

I have also embedded a video below.

Hope its helpful for you.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects