Workshop
Ask a question

Kitchen renovation project

jaga
Having an Impact

Kitchen renovation project

Hi there,

I've recently joined this group, and thought i'd share some details of my first project.. Its a kitchen renovation, and its already underway.. I've included details of the first few stages in this post, and i'll update as I go further along... I've got most details in my head, so I think I know what i'd like it to look like at completion - but please don't hold back on any suggestions..

Here is what we were presented with, when we purchased the house about 18 months ago.. The fridge is to the right of the photo, but its separated from the main part of the kitchen by a doorway, and the small pantry is to the left of the photo. It too, is separated from the main part of the kitchen..

IMG_3533.JPG

As you can see, it is extremely small, and actually has no preparation space, except for the small surface to the left of the oven, so the coffee machine has to be put away after every use, so that we've got some spare bench space.

For perspective, here is a couple of other photos of the room, which show the dining table in relation to the kitchen.. The wall/window/doorway behind the sink is marked for demolition, as i'd like to remove this 'barrier', which separates the living areas at the back of the house..

IMG_3536.JPGIMG_3538.JPG

This being the case, as the removal of this wall was an opportunity to open up the back of the house, the most sensible location for the new kitchen was not in the existing space, but flipped to the opposite side of the room (ie: switch the kitchen and dining rooms)..

Fast forward - I've now had the carcass of the new kitchen installed in the new location, and existing kitchen is demolished, (which exposed some asbestos sheeting and was appropriately removed)... Here are some progress photos from that stage..

IMG_3206.JPGIMG_3182.JPG

Following on from that, we now currently have the stone benchtop installed, and ready for the next phase of work.. Its been like this for a few weeks now, because the new kitchen is functional, so I suppose i can take my time from this point..

IMG_3221.JPG

I went for a 80mm casesarstone benchtop in "Clamshell" colour, as I was hoping it looked like a polished concrete benchtop.. Of course, you can tell its not polished concrete, but i'm pretty pleased with the result..

Next steps, in my next update will hopefully be - 

a) removal of old kitchen window/wall, and make-good existing kitchen walls

b) installation of hardwood exposed shelves in corner (in the gap to the right of overhead cupboards -see last photo)

c) tiled splashback

Hopefully my first post has been appropriate for the website.. Looking forward to some feedback and/or suggestions...

Cheers,

Jamie

Scottyw
Growing in Experience

Re: First post - first renovation (kitchen)

Sorry, it looks like a number of boards will need to be replaced before sanding and polishing can occur. It looks like there's a fair bit of damage there and you wouldn't get a good result without replacing them. 

Well done on opening up the room though. It looks great. 

jaga
Having an Impact

Thanks for the reply @Scottyw,

I think the damage you're referring to is the black/white colouring you can see in the photo... I'm pretty certain that all the discolouring that you can see is just on the surface..

For example, the black stuff seems to be a bitumous material and was most probably an adhesive from the previous flooring.. Also, I found existing vinyl flooring, that had been cut to the shape of the existing kitchen, obviously from a floor covering removed during previous work in the house by others... Suspecting that this may have contained an asbestos backing, I brushed a watered-down PVA glue over the floor to seal any remaining asbestos.. I suspect that has prodcued the white milky colour that you can see in the photos..

Here is a close-up of the previous photo.. It may be hard to see, given the quality of the photo...

damage close up.jpg

I take your point however, and the boards are not in perfect condition anyway.. There are a few holes and deteriorated knots, but for the cost of replacing the boards (and possibly not finding anything to match), i'd be happy to fill with putty..

What do you think? Even if the result isn't perfect, do you think i could get away with it looking 'ok'

Jamie

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

Hi Jamie
@jaga Good to hear the trusses weren't an issue and the wall could be removed without too much bother
From the above photo I would try Scrapping & Sanding the 6 longitudinal boards up to the join of the seventh board.
Matching new finishes with old can be a issue. Try a small sample first to see how the colour & texture finishes
..please post back photos for others...

Hi Jamie (@jaga)

Just wondering how this project is going. Have you made any further progress on the renovation work?

Hope all is well.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Re: Kitchen renovation project

Hi Jamie (@jaga),

Your renovation has been really popular with almost 14,000 views. It would be fantastic if you could share more about this project. We'd love to see a picture of the end result.

Stevie

jaga
Having an Impact

Hi @StevieB 

Thanks for the message - the reason I've never posted a picture of the end result is quite embarrassing...!! I've never actually finished it...!!

I installed the splashback and power outlets, then a few of the details have never been completed (such as corner shelving).. And of course, once we started using the kitchen it has unfortunately fallen into the "too hard basket"

No doubt, I will finish the job one day soon, hopefully..

But just so the workshop community doesn't think less of me - I'm going to do another post -of a bathroom renovation that has happened in the meantime.. 

Thanks

jaga

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Nothing to be embarrassed about @jaga. It's completely understandable that life gets in the way sometimes.

It's great to see you back on Bunnings Workshop and I trust that the projects shared by our clever and creative members will continue to inspire you. 

Stevie

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects