Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Corner pantry

cattb
Getting Established

Corner pantry

I started this pantry a few days ago.

We have recently repositioned our kitchen from the centre of the 120 yr old miners cottage we have bought. The pantry was in the centre of the house so I decided to move it into the corner of the new kitchen area (in a lean to at the back of house) The ceiling is raked and has been lined with pine lining boards so there's a few angles involved. I've purchased all materials from Bunnings and will be lining the outside with vj lining sheets. 

As the angles at the front of the pantry are 22.5 degrees, is it better to cut the long sheets of vj board at 22.5 degrees to join or cut at 90 degrees and join with quad? 

20191230_115648.jpg

20191230_181448.jpg

20200105_154322.jpg

20200106_192140.jpg

  

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: corner pantry

As much as I like the idea of mitre corners, quad will be easier to get a neat looking finish.

Prof
Becoming a Leader

Re: corner pantry

Very nicely done cattb and a good use of a corner space..

I'm guessing that a lot of people could have an empty corner somewhere near the kitchen and could do the same thing..

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Corner pantry

Great project @cattb, we are looking forward to seeing you complete it. It's bound to inspire many other community members, as @Prof suggested. 

Let me also tag @ProjectPete as he has plenty of experience with VJ and might like to share his thoughts on how he would tackle the project. 

A very warm welcome to the Workshop community. We're excited to have you join us and look forward to other ways you are putting your stamp on your cottage. Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

A 120yr old place to renovate sounds fun @cattb!

Personally, I'd mitre join then fill gaps with a flexible filler followed by a light sand and paint to finish.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
cattb
Getting Established

Thanks @ProjectPete  this was my first line of thought. It would probably be a much neater finish than trying to add quad. Cheers Catt

cattb
Getting Established

Here's an update on the pantry, almost finished,. 

20200214_105148.jpg

20200214_105206.jpg

Just need to install the door. 

Took the advice of some members and went with a mitre corner join. Worked out quite well and came up great after a sand and paint. Wasn't as hard as I thought it would be, but I would definitely recommend clamping the timber down and using a cutting guide for your circular saw. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Many thanks for the update @cattb. Looking forward to seeing it all finished. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Prof
Becoming a Leader

Very nice job cattb..I particularly like the vertical grooving..

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

@cattb Have you had time to finish off the pantry yet? Would like to see the end results as it's looking great so far!

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects