Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Concrete benchtops

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Concrete benchtops

Looking at doing a few conrete projects. I've dabbled in it before but looking at replacing my kitchen benches with concrete ones, so a much bigger project.

I know the process but wondering if anyone has some cheeky tips and tricks to help with the job and nailing it first time round.
----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Re: Concrete benchtops

I saw a concrete benchop on Instagram the other day. I was surprised at how different it looked in different shots - kind of like marble.

Here's a link - https://www.instagram.com/p/BAo9oI-nKRg/?taken-by=projectrenovate

Awesome job for first time renovators! Maybe you could ask them? Better still, invite them to share their wisdom here on Workshop with us!

RenoQueen
Making a Splash

Interesting. How are concrete benchtops usually sealed? Concrete is pretty porous isn't it? Would it stain easily?

Yes they certainly do need to be sealed @RenoQueen. There's quite a few different options too
----------
Handy and helpful

This is essentially what I'd love my kitchen to look at with some omissions and inmine the sink is on the island while the stovetop is on the wall bench for example.

Also I'm going for white cabinetry and of course the subway tiles for a splashback which runs about 800mm up the wall, inclduding the side walls.

Will be installing downlights over the stivetop area with similar industrial lights over the island as shown in the pic below.

----------
Handy and helpful
katsmith
Growing in Experience

Looks like a great option for those looking for the industrial look. Should also be very durable. We are thinking of using timber benchtops for save cost but have had some people express concern that they won't last. 

Hi Team, I came across this thread. I'm planning to build a Concrete countertop and just wondering which concrete mix I should use? What are your recommendations please?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects