Workshop
Ask a question

Cleaning fry pans

Prof
Becoming a Leader

Cleaning fry pans

18764426d73143b5a20cf74f56c09847.jfifCan anyone recommend a cleaner that will clean the bottoms of fry pans?

I have several pans that have what looks like burnt on blackened oil on their bases..

The pans are still good but heat transfer is not as good as when they were new..

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Cleaning Fry Pans

Do you know what type of base the fry pans have @Prof? For example, cast iron, stainless steel or non-stick Teflon? 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Prof
Becoming a Leader

I think the worst three have a thick cast metal base of some sort, with Teflon cook surface..
AndreaNg
Having an Impact

How old are they @Prof?

I find even expensive brands don't last more than a couple of years before the coating isn't non-stick anymore. And that's with being very careful with washing and using soft utensils. 

Prof
Becoming a Leader

The oldest pan would be 2 years old..The non stick surface is fine..It's just the bases of the pans that I want to clean..
AndreaNg
Having an Impact

Ah, sorry I misunderstood. Have you tried baking soda, vinegar and steel wool like this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NXkWgI9Fm9Q

Prof
Becoming a Leader

No I haven't tried that..btw the bottom of my pans are about 10 times worse than the one in the video.!!
On Monday I tried oven cleaner..I sprayed a pan and left it over night..I then scrubbed the base with steel wool and most of it came off.!
I think a second application will get the rest off..

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects