Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Can I tile over a glass splashback?

TraceS
Finding My Feet

Can I tile over a glass splashback?

Hi everyone, just after some advice.  I have a 10 yr old house that Im updating.  The kitchen has a lime green glass splashback that was in fashion once?  I have heard to remove it is expensive so wondering if I can tile over the top ( also been told you cant unless you use bigger tiles like floor tiles and use silicon to stick them on?)  Im looking more at using basic sized tiles with a subway design.  Any suggestions? Thanks Trace

gippslandhome
Becoming a Leader

Re: Can I tile over a glass splashback?

Hi Trace, in short the answer is yes for sure.

The key is preparation and making sure you get the correct advice.

Firstly please don't use silicone. Big no no.

Best thing to do is give your glass splash back a good clean with sugar soap. Then dry and wipe over with some metholated spirits.

What you need to buy then is a primer that is designed to go over tiles, glass vinyl ext.

This will etch into the glass and allow you to tile to your glass splash back.

Speak to someone in the tiling section at your local Bunnings. Or at your local tile store.

Don't be stuck with any myth on what sort of tile you should use.

Go with what you love and size doesn't matter, it will not affect anything in anyway.

Just ask yout local supplier for a pre primary to go over the top of a glass splash back.

It's very easy.

I've done this for over 25 years, and I know you will be fine.

Any questions please feel free to message back.

Kind regards Rob

Keep on making because making is fun 😁

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @TraceS,

Welcome to Workshop. We're rapt to have you join us at this exciting time when you are updating the house. Please feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share. We have loads of helpful members like @gippslandhome who are sharing helpful advice and inspiration.   

I will now hand over to other community members to provide input, but also wanted to refer you to a previous discussion on this topic in case it is also of value - https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Kitchen/How-can-I-tile-over-or-cover-a-glass-splashback-in-the-kitche...

Thanks again for joining in the discussion on Workshop, and let me know if you ever need help getting the most from the site.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Yes. But why would you?

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Are you saying that the splashback should be easy to remove @redracer01? Got any tips for @TraceS?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge as always!

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
redracer01
Kind of a Big Deal

Several schools of thought on this matter. Do it cheap and tile over it. Remove the plaster board along with splash back and re plaster or break the glass and tile over rough plaster. I suppose depends on time and money. If its a rental then yes do it quick and dirty. You need immediate turn around. If you have time to spare then yes lets do it right remove the glass and tile properly. Either way it all depends on the situation.

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

As a professional tiler of over 27 years I've done countless tile over all sorts of situations.

This is not necessarily just the cheapest rental type solution get it done quickly and cheap option.

Tile over tile/glass ECT can be one of the smartest, less stressful and most economical way without compromise to quality.

Kind regards Rob Colbert

Because it’s lime green and out of date now. Looking at updating for future sale.

Spot on @gippslandhome 

Thanks @TheSaltyreefer 👍

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects