Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Apartment ideas

Kellie
Making a Splash

Apartment ideas

Hi everyone.

I've just bought my first apartment off the plan and am looking for ideas as I can change the configuration a little before building starts. 

The plan is below.

I'm particularly interested in ideas about the kitchen bench. I think it needs to be bigger and I don't really like the idea of having either a freestanding or built-in dining table right next to it. I'm thinking about asking for the island bench to be bigger. What do you think is the minimum size I should go for in an island bench? And do you think it will be a problem having a dining table further to the right - ie. more in the corridor/walkway?

Also, what do you think would be better for re-sale value? A study nook like the one in the plans, or more storage? I am thinking about having a laundry cupboard instead, probably accessible via the bathroom rather than the hallway. But this isn't going to be a "foreever home" so I do have to think about what future buyers might want most. Storage vs study/work space?

Any other ideas would be most welcome!! 

Apartment.png

Re: Apartment ideas

Many thanks for your input @athorpe.

I did think about a bath as I love having a soak but I think most buyers (including me) would rather have more storage. I also tend to think that if you can't do a big bath then its probably better not to have one at all. 

A sliding door is a good idea, I will talk to the builders. Not sure if its too late. 

Thanks again for your post.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@athorpe

Welcome to Workshop. It's great to have you join us. I hope you find the site to be informative, inspirational and plenty of fun. Please let me know if you need a hand getting the most from the site. 

The topic of living without a bath has popped up a few times on Workshop in recent times. You might be interested in these discussions:

Thanks again for joining us and for contributing to the discussion. I'm looking forward to seeing your next post soon.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Decio
Just Starting Out

Wow sounds exciting !
Alicia
Building a Reputation

I love the look of mixing a stone benchtop with a timber table. Here's an example...

home-design.jpg

Getting exciting now! Just a few weeks away. 

IMG_2815.JPG

I have just started another post about the pre-handover inspection. Hopefully someone can help.

I totally agree. The more storage space the better.

Alicia
Building a Reputation

Looks like an amazing building. Congrats. 

Happy with the changes to the kitchen bench - making it bigger and with overhang for sitting up to it was definitely the right move. Here's a bad photo:

kitchen.jpg

I didn't get as much extra storage as I had hoped from removing the study nook but got a much more functional and usable laundry behind some double doors.

laundry.jpg 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects