Workshop
Ask a question

What are you learning to help you create DIY projects and how are you learning these new skills.

John1
Having an Impact

What are you learning to help you create DIY projects and how are you learning these new skills.

I am very keen on learning about LED [Light Emitting Diodes] as I would like to make my own Christmas decorations and explore their uses for other projects that I am doing.

I was wondering what other DIYers had learn't besides their normal occupation to help them in their DIY projects. It could be anything from welding or like me learning about how to use and create using LED technology. Did you do a course or learn by watching YouTube.  

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: What are you learning to help you create DIY projects and how are you learning these new skills.

Metal lathe taught by my father while still at school.
Trade welder also covered fitting and turning, sheetmetal, mechanical and electrical in first year.
Work included laying timber floors, hydraulic fitting, air line fitting, electrical, balancing and fixer of things.
Computer repairs -- distance learning, didn't learn much from that.
Woodwork - rehab on my shoulder.
Retail sales certificate - course after rehab failed.
Plants and fish - Google
Cabinet making - Google and Workshop.
John1
Having an Impact

Re: What are you learning to help you create DIY projects and how are you learning these new skills.

Brad Wow man you was busy.

Would like to learn welding and when the time is right I will.

LEDS are cheap, a soldering iron, solder, wire, leds and maybe diodes. All relatively cheap.

That soldering iron gets bloody [Australian slang for don't try to save it when it falls] hot.  

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

I'm a "Monkey see, monkey do" kinda guy, & YouTube is my education centre.

It's free, but it's extremely important to suss out the media charmers, from the real deals.

Thankfully, like @Brad, my training was very broad in scope, so I find it easy to sort the real gems, from the dross.

My areas of interests is very open, like the full kit of DIYing, then in no particular order, gardening, cooking, computer tech, architecture, alternative health, minimalism, design, alternative living, efficient transport, sustainability, new inventions, & probably a lot more.

The brilliant thing also, is that I get free newsletters every day to keep me up to date.

I love the internet. : )

Oooops, I nearly forgot about TV, Gardening Australia's a wealth of knowledge, it's genuinely honest, & they don't push sponsored products. BIG thumbs up.

Probably a polar opposite of public acceptance, but I can't get enough of the Tiny House movement programs. The euphoria expressed by the owners after they lived in them for a while, is a real joy. Invariably, they genuinely revel in being debt free, they glow at conquering the battle of want over  need, they become closer in their relationship, they relish their freedom, & wish that they'd done it sooner.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects