Workshop
Ask a question

Sticking aluminium to glass

Velxunai
Finding My Feet

Sticking aluminium to glass

I'm making an enclosure for small mammals out of an old 4 foot tank, but one of the panels in the tank is missing.

I was thinking about making a frame out of the aluminium "connect it" range found in Bunnings; how would I go about sticking the aluminium to the glass?

Would silicone do the trick or is there something else?
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Sticking aluminium to glass

Thanks for your post @Velxunai and welcome to Workshop. It's great to have you join the community. I hope you find plenty of useful information and advice here, and have some fun. I also hope a Workshop member can assist with your tank. Good luck with the project, and I look forward to reading about some of your other projects and plans. 

Please let me know if you need any help getting the most from the site.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Mick
Cultivating a Following

@Velxunai

I would try something like silicone caulk. You would need to make sure you have a clean surface first, and maybe even consider roughing up the glass with wet/dry sandpaper to help it bond.

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Instead of using "Connect It", perhaps this instead, & as suggested silicone adhesive:

http://www.bunnings.com.au/metal-mate-12-x-12-x-1-4mm-3m-aluminium-equal-angle_p1079519
JP_Finlay
Having an Impact

@Velxunai Selleys make a liquid nails construction adhesive that is specifically designed for mirrors, metal and glass.

Thanks everyone! All this advice have been hugely helpful. I suppose using the aluminium angle would be cheaper than the connect it range so that definitely makes sense. I look forward to starting this project as its been in my garage for a few weeks now :wink:

I'll post pics of the process when I've completed it.

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Way cool Velxunal, & thanks for the heads up about the alluminium angle extrusion. I'm all about DIYers saving money, because that's how I've operated, & it's very rewarding to do a great job for the least expenditure, but without compromise.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

How is this project going @Velxunai?

Be great to see some photos when you have a chance.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Unfortunately I was forced to throw away the tank I was going to do this project with. We found ourselves needing to move and there was no place for me to keep such a big project :unhappy:

I hope I get to do something similar one day so I can produce photos of it.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects