Workshop
Ask a question

Soundproofing internal brick wall

antoallison
Getting Established

Soundproofing internal brick wall

I am just wondering what methods I could use to soundproof or at least dampen sound coming from toilets in my home. One toilet wall backs onto a guest bedroom, the other internal toilet backs on to the main lounge room. The noises can be errr.... audible and embarrasing when you have visitors !

Would using ceramic tiling from floor to ceiling height in the toilet work or am I better using a thick wallper to make a feature wall in the bedroom or lounge ? 

I googled this problem and there seem to be some pricey products in the USA, for use on those wooden stud frame walls but these are single brick walls. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Soundproofing internal brick wall

Interesting topic @antoallison. Thanks for posting. I hope some of our members will have some suggestions for you.

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to Workshop. It's terrific to have you join the community. I'm looking forward to reading more about your projects and plans and hope you find plenty of useful information, advice and inspiration here. 

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Not a lot of joy in my search but a starting point is -

Panel

MartyH
Amassing an Audience

I would think that ceramic tiling, while adding an extra layer, would not help as sound bounces off it. Bathrooms are typically echo-ey places. You need to have materials that absorb sound, like what @Brad has shared. 

Insulating the walls would be my suggestion as you would get both sound and temperature benefits. But you say all your walls are brick? Maybe you need to look at something like this - http://www.ecomaster.com.au/what-is-wall-insulation/ - which can be used for internal walls. Otherwise you'd need a timber frame on top of the brick, insulate and plasterboard...

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

@antoallison
You will need to provide more information`
and will require proper CFD-acoustic simulations rather than cartoon GIFs, otherwise you might end up spending a bomb and the problem isn't completely solved

Wall Acoustic.jpg

MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Got any cheap and cheerful DIY suggestions instead @BIM_Engineer?

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

If you want specific solutions please leave a PM..cheers

thanks for the reply .. Yes in Perth all the houses are built in brick - double brick with cavity on the outside and single brick plastered and painted on internal walls. 

Yes I had heard that about tiling the entire walls in the toilet (which now seems to be a tend anyway) quoted $600 for this job which is too much when it is not going to dampen the sounds. I know that being on this site now I will be tempted to do a DIY tiling job anyway. :smile:

thanks BMI - I am so technically challenged that I don't even know what a cartoon gif is ??

I definetly don't want to spend a lot as there is are so many more projects to be done and this is just a minor but longstanding problem re noise transmission from toilets to adjacent rooms. 

i can can take a photo perhaps and send it with sizes and further explanation. 

Cheers A

Photos would really help Workshop members see what you are working with @antoallison.

A Gif is a file format used on the web for short animations. I believe @BIM_Engineer was referring to the animated diagrams on the page that @MartyH linked to. 

I'm sure there will be plenty of Workshop members happy to share tiling advance if you go down that path. :grin:

Let me know if you need a hand uploading some images to the discussion.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects