Workshop
Ask a question

Your best painting tips

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Your best painting tips

Painting can be a fantastic low-cost way to freshen up a room and add value to a property. For a small investment, the right paint job can make a big impact. 

Painting is also something that anyone can do. But I'm sure the Workshop community has plenty of great tips for getting the best result possible.

Please share your painting tips in the discussion below.

Jason 

PaintCan.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Share your best painting tips

Anyone planning to get stuck into some painting over the Easter break?

Jason

There's some good painting tips in this article - https://www.domain.com.au/advice/get-grip-discover-best-paintbrush-job

I can especially relate to the one about investing in quality brushes. I don't understand why people spend heaps of money on paint but then use cheap brushes and don't get a good finish.

Prof
Becoming a Leader

Also if you put your wiped brush in a freezer bag and wrap it very tightly and then put it in the fridge, it will keep like that for weeks..

Prof
Becoming a Leader

That's a good tip Marley..I'll do that next time..
CathD
Making a Splash

Some good tips here for painting ceilings - http://www.handyman.net.au/10-tips-painting-ceilings

SammyE
Cultivating a Following

Thanks a lot for the tips here. We've just started painting and I can definitely agree with the quality of the accessories. First we thought the paint wasn't good as we went for British Paint and not Dulux. Then we upgraded our roller and it worked like a charm! It really made a difference.

Also learnt the tip on wrapping the roller in a plastic bag instead of washing, which did save time and water. It was so convenient!

Btw, can someone tell me what we can do about sliding doors and windows with metal frames? They don't seem like we can paint them all over. We have all frames in beige and we'd like to have them in white. Tnx!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Good stuff @SammyE, glad to see that some of the tips were helpful to you.

You might also like to check out these discussions regarding painting alumnium doors and windows: 

Hope that helps. It would be great if you could share some before and after photos - it's certainly a common project. 

Jason

SammyE
Cultivating a Following

Thanks for the tips Jason. Sure will do,
@Jason wrote:

Good stuff @SammyE, glad to see that some of the tips were helpful to you.

You might also like to check out these discussions regarding painting alumnium doors and windows: 

Hope that helps. It would be great if you could share some before and after photos - it's certainly a common project. 

Jason

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Visitors to this popular discussion might like to check out this - Preventing paint bleed while using masking tape

There's a great tip from some videos shared by @Brad about using chaulk to help ensure sharp lines with no bleeding.

Jason

melheasman
Just Starting Out

Re: Your best painting tips

Jason,

Do you happen to know the name of the paint used in the above picture?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects