Workshop
Ask a question

Scratching in the walls/ceilings

Topcat
Just Starting Out

Scratching in the walls/ceilings

Hi. We live in suburbia, west of Brisbane, and we have something in our roof that 'scratches' and 'gnaws' (loudly) at night time. We have set 'mouse traps' and 'rat traps', and 'opossum traps', but we have never caught anything. We even put our two cats up there, for a day, and it did go quiet for a time, but the sounds are back. We have put 'baits' up there, and they are untouched. We have annual inspections for Termites and we have been 'cleared' on that score. (We do have lots of Ghekos, though.) Do cockroaches make a sound like they are chewing wood to splinters?

Has anyone else had this problem? What did it turn out to be? How was the problem resolved?

I'd love to hear from anyone.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Scratching in the walls/ceilings

Welcome to Workshop @Topcat. We hope you find the community useful for information and advice, and also have plenty of fun. Please let me know if you need any help getting the most from the site. 

Sorry to read of your pest problem. I believe its a common issue at this time of year. I'm sure community members will be keen to add their suggestions and thoughts. You might also be interested in this discussion: Electric rodent repeller.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Topcat
Just Starting Out

" You might also be interested in this discussion: Electric rodent repeller."

Thanks for the link, Jason. A very interesting 'read'.

@Topcat

If its a possum, there are some suggestions on this discussion - https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Gardening/Your-tips-for-keeping-possums-away/m-p/1285

I had a similar problem when I lived at Nathan. Turned out to be rattus rattus (Black rat) ... I would suggest a trap to catch them rather than bait as with a trap you know where the remains are and can remove them ...

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the discussion and a very warm welcome to Workshop @rlogie. It's great to have you join us. I look forward to reading about your plans and projects. Please let me know if you need a hand getting the most from the site. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
RickyH
Growing in Experience

We get something similar from time to time in our Sydney home.  Rattus rattus is the villan.  I use the ratsack that comes in paper packets and put it in the ceiling and any wall cavities that I can access so I avoid my dog coming in contact with the bait (she's never yet made it into the ceiling space!!!).  I also put peanut butter on the outside of the paper sachets to lure them to eat it - being careful not to double dip into the peanut butter jar.  Works well even though their cousins do come to visit from time to time.  

Good luck.  It's an ongoing war.

Sounds more like possums to me and they probably won't eat rat bait!
Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Do possums tend to get into walls and ceilings? I know they're often dancing on the roof at night but do they tend to seek shelter inside? 

RickyH
Growing in Experience

I agree with Kermit. Possums sound really loud. I have occasionally seen some living in a roof spaces here in Sydney, both residential and commercial. If this is going on, they will probably leave very smelly urine & large stains showing through to the ceiling of your room/s. This is both ugly and stinky.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects