Workshop
Ask a question

Poll: Do you prefer a freestanding bath or built-in?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Poll: Do you prefer a freestanding bath or built-in?

A luxurious bath can add a real "wow" factor to a bathroom and help create an oasis of relaxation. 

But if you were renovating your bathroom, would you choose an elegant and eye-catching freestanding bath or a more practical built-in?

Please add your vote to the poll on the front page and feel free to discuss the advantages and disadvantages of each type of bath by replying to the conversation below.

Jason

FreestandingBath.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Re: Poll: Do you prefer a freestanding bath or built-in?

Freestanding bathtubs can look spectacular. But you obviously need a lot of space. I don't understand how you clean behind them if you put them up against a wall like the example below. 

I also think there's another big consideration in terms of practicality. For kids, people with a disability, or anyone else with mobility issues, it can be difficult to get in and out of a freestanding bath safely. 

FreestandingBath1.png

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@Isobel, thank you, I agree 100% on every point that you made.

The initial euphoria would sooner or later be a mega pain in the butt on so many levels.

I look at some of the dream bathrooms & think, I hoped you remember to grab the luffa, & some facial pampering products, but wait, where are you going to put them, that they'll be in reach?

On the other hand, if someone's doing a faithful restoration from another era , then free standing's the only way to go.

darylhewston
Becoming a Leader

Agree with @Isobel and @Andy_Mann considering all the different situations and of course cleaning behind the tub.  We mostly shower daily but Deb loves a hot relax in the suds.  The only thing I would consider is the size and if you could 'spa' it with a hot pump so the water stays nice and toasty.

Cheers'n'beers

Daryl

MartyH
Amassing an Audience

I'd rather use the space to have a lux shower. I had thought the trend for big spa baths was over, particularly in this more water conscious era.

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

The bath departed here in 1980, it was a clunky built in shower over bath replaced with just a shower.

This has caused some angst among the female brigade, given the Spartan design of the house it would be back to SOB again.
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

@MartyH, yeh quite a few of the multi-function shower heads, or to the extreme, the luxury shower stations have massage &/or pulsating functions, but I do see the  charm of relaxing almost weightless in a bath.

@darylhewston, I'm no financial adviser, but a couple sized bath with all the relaxation goodness, though a substantial investment, could be a good one. It will bring ongoing rewards, especially if you put your DIY skills to lending a hand. As they say,"happy dishwasher, happy life". ; )

RenoQueen
Making a Splash

Love freestanding baths - they can look amazing.

Here's a dramatic example in a bedroom:

Bath.png

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Workshop members are split, with equal numbers preferring freestanding bathtubs to built-in models.

Bathspoll.png

Many thanks to all who participated in the poll.

Feel free to keep the conversation going by replying below.

Jason 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Helen
Having an Impact

Agree, Saw one recently in a display home, my first comment was how do you get around it to clean, not for us oldies anyway! Also no good for a blind person! Look nice though but not practical in my book!!!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects