Workshop
Ask a question

Kitchen cabinets

RenoQueen
Making a Splash

Kitchen cabinets

Can anyone who has gone through a kitchen renovation or new build please tell me what I should be looking for in kitchen cabinetry? I’m not sure what I should be asking the cabinet makers.

Thanks heaps, Vicky

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Re: Kitchen cabinets

The most important thing is the craftsmanship of the cabinetmakers. Ask for testimonials and look at previous installs for perfect joins, nice straight lines, smooth edges, no gaps or overlapping. You will probably find that most cabinet makers use MDF so the only difference is the thickness. Obviously the thicker the better. Make sure you get solid backs (not stapled thin Masonite). The hinges and drawer runners etc can vary in quality a lot so you will want a reputable brand, and preferably soft close. And remember that the finished result depends on multiple trades working together well – eg plumber, electrician, possibly also stonemason, tiler and glazier – that need to be coordinated and not destroy each other’s work!  

ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Kitchen cabinets

Agree with @Kermit and big +1 for soft close - love them!

Are you building a new kitchen or renovating/replacing existing?
----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects