Workshop
Ask a question

Keeping old trades alive

MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Keeping old trades alive

I enjoyed this Herald Sun article on the weekend talking about how craftspeople were trying to keep old trades alive. It featured a chairmaker, bookbinder, glassblower and a guy who makes musical instruments. 

It also talked about how there is something of a resurgence in hand-made and DIY and some people are moving away from disposible items. 

Is anyone here trying to keep any "dying" trades alive?

RenoQueen
Making a Splash

Re: Keeping old trades alive

The "maker" movement is certainly growing momentum. 

I really enjoyed the Bespoke series on ABC late last year - http://www.abc.net.au/tv/programs/bespoke/ - which explored the movement really well. There's a strong push towards more authentic products that have been made by hand. 

Dave-1
Home Improvement Guru

Re: Keeping old trades alive

Afternoon @MartyH 

Wow a post from back in 2016 :smile: Go Bunnings algorithium :laugh:

So two subbjects you mentioned actually appeal to me and that is the Bookbinder and the glassblower! I am always keeping an eye out for local places within an hours drive to learn glassblowing and have even considered just going for it and teahing myself. One day I end up telling myself is usually how it goes.

I dont know if "keeping dying trades alive" is how I would describe it but there is cetainly something to be said about being proficient in old ways of doing things. I look at the way I do things and others do the same type of jobs. Both work but are vastly different. The only advantage that comes to mind is if you have a skillset of a past way of doing work then it will definently help you with a pricklier job as you have a larger knowledge base.

Dave

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects