Workshop
Ask a question

DIY Bathroom Renovation

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

DIY Bathroom Renovation

Planning to add a new bathroom on an existing suspended concrete slab.  

Here is my planning checklist

• Rough dimensioned layout sketch
  • Basic 3D Project Schematic design
  • Have an idea of what you want to spend overall “Budget” include all costs.  These can be broken down to   Fixtures, Materials, Labour, Tools/Plant, Profit, Time, etc.
  • Use a planning template ie checklist, flowchart, spreadsheet/app
  • Follow installation work sequences/ schematics carefully
  • Optimisation, Design Style & Functionality is a function of Cost
  • Consider Scale, Measurements & Future Accessibility requirements
  • Lighting, Ventilation, Cleaning and Long term maintenance
  • Also check regulations, local compliance & code specifications

Planning & knowing what’s involved is part of the “DIY process” or you can choose to leave it all up to a professional designer.

More useful resources here

DIY Bathroom Projects

Basic Fixtures and Plumbing schematicsDiy Bath.jpg

RenoQueen
Making a Splash

Re: DIY Bathroom Renovation

@BIM_Engineer

Do you agree with the cost estimates in this article? - https://www.domain.com.au/advice/budget-midrange-or-luxury-how-much-does-a-bathroom-renovation-reall...

The budget bathroom Cost: $5000 (partial renovation) to $27,000

The mid-range bathroom Cost: $25,000-$35,000

The luxury bathroom Cost: $35,000+

BIM_Engineer
Former Community Member

@RenoQueen Yes I do agree with this article
the figures are indeed realistic
$5K involves a lot of elbow grease, hands on practical skills, patience and a few months of weekends put aside .. BTW, I've seen James videos online before he does make it look easy and enjoyable tho.....

I noticed this article Yesterday
Artificial Intelligence (AI) Designer Can Refine Architects’ Models
"Project Discover iterates thousands of designs based on preset goals and constraints for the building.....Project Discover is a workflow for generative design for architecture. It involves the integration of a rule-based geometric system, a series of measurable goals, and a system for automatically generating, evaluating, and evolving a very large number of design options.  The result is a tool to explore a wide design space, and get closer and closer to achieving all of the goals simultaneously."Quote
The generative design can quickly determine the best trade off between all of the above (previously listed) variables in the decision making process....ultimately yeilding the best design, solution and way foreward...Will there be a need for a checklist in the near future?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects