Getting Established

Row boat sand pit

0909E841-486B-4087-85D1-05837E62AE0F.jpeg

Rowboat1.jpg

Rowboat2.jpg

Rowboat3.jpg

Rowboat4.jpg

Just a quick question,
recently aquired an old wooden row boat I’m converting into a sand pit for my kids. The sides and frame are all in good condition but the ply floor board sections were pretty rotten. I’m thinking of making the new floor from cut down pallet slats screwed into the frame but I’m just curious is to how I would accurately measure the angle to contour the curve of the boat?
hope this makes sense, all advice and suggestions welcome

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Row boat sand pit

Straight angles a sliding bevel will work, some do have a digital angle gauge built in to help you if you are using a mitre saw.

Contour gauge for curves, it has a set of sliding pins to copy the shape.
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Sounds like a great project @Millsylad. I'm sure your kids will love it! Great to see you've already received some terrific advice from the ever-helpful @Brad.

Let me extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. We're really pleased you have joined us. I'm sure you will continue to receive lots of helpful advice and inspiration for your projects in future. 

Please give me a shout if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MikeBenstead
Growing in Experience

Sounds like a great project.  Don't foget to give them a ship's wheel or a tiller for when your little pirates are sailing the high seas in a gale.

Google "boat sand pit" for more ideas.

Back to your quesion...

I would suggest you just leave the bottom flat to make it more stable.  Remember also that if you replace the ply as you would if you were fixing the boat it would be watertight.  You want the rain to drain away.

Thanks for the advice on here, sorry it’s been a while getting back.
I decided to use pallet slats as the base which I’ve painted and covered with weed matting to allow drainage. Rather than fill the whole boat with sand I’ve boxed out the middle section 6’x3’ so still a good size. I’m going to attach two 6’ treated pine round fence posts as masts next then the back section I’ll build another deck once I’ve figured out how to brace it.

Thanks for the update @Millsylad. Great to hear that the advice you received was helpful and the project is progressing well. I hope you can share a photo or two with the community - I'm sure your work will inspire others. 

Thanks again,

Jason

Millsylad
Getting Established

Added some pics to show progress.
There were no batteries or bits attached to the tools in the pic with my apprentices.
All that’s left is weed matting for the middle section, add masts then deck the back 😝

@Millsylad,

Ah, I see you've added your photos to the first post in the discussion. Thanks for that!

I will fix up the orientation for you.

Jason 

Prof
Becoming a Leader

Great idea for a sandpit Millsylad..👍 I think kids would love that..

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects