Workshop
Ask a question

Woodworking Challenge - How would you tackle this?

Kim2
Building a Reputation

Woodworking Challenge - How would you tackle this?

I have a major crush on these heart shaped wooden succulent planters. This dude makes them in the US, I can't find any instructions on how to make a heart shaped wooden succulent planter. This is completely beyond me but how would you tackle this?heart shaped succulent boxes.JPG

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZzX-KyjmKk/?taken-by=thehuntcollection

heart shaped wooden succulent planters.jpg

P.S. This would make an AWESOME Christmas gift for any females in your life. If you manage to make it be prepared for a major boost to your popularity blokes :laugh: 

(or if you happen to be a female woodworker tackling this challenge you will be my new girl crush :D) 

Kim

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: Woodworking Challenge - How would you tackle this?

@Kim2Australian Shareholders Association, currently Technical Officer and Assisting Education Officer neither of which I look like losing next week.

Wayne
Becoming a Leader

I have made a start on this Heart Planter but am thinking a slightly different design (which will be easier to make)
I was going to use pallet wood but had some Pine Matchboard laying around and have decided to use this, also being tongue and groove no need to mess around with biscuit joints.
Heart Planter 1.jpg
I cut a board into 500mm lengths to make two roughly 500mm x 500mm panels,

Heart Planter 2.jpg

Heart Planter 3.jpg
Glued and clamped together.
Once the glue has cured I needed to cut out the heart shape, I decided to make a half heart shape as the front of the planter. This could be done with a template and jig saw but I have a small CNC Router so I drew the design in the software and cut them out using that.

Heart Planter 4.jpg

The back.
Heart Planter 5.jpg
and the half sized front panel.
Heart Planter 6.jpg

Heart Planter 7.jpg
And an idea of how the two will come together.

Heart Planter 8.jpg

Heart Planter 9.jpg

That is as far as I have got for now and I am wondering whether it is even necessary to box in around the top of the heart or just leave it as a flat back and just box in the planter section. I think it would look equally attractive and with far less work required.
I am open to suggestions.

Wood Working with Wayne
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

A bit of creative licence, I am happy with that.

Kim2
Building a Reputation

Woahh Wayne, THIS IS GORGEOUS!!!!!

It looks HUGE, the cuts are super clean with that CNC router, I vote leave the top of the heart open. 

Its always been my dream to start a social enterprise, would you be interested in collaborating on a project to sell these on my Etsy store? I have a lot of traction with succulent loving people but my woodworking skills are currently terrible so I can't offer them any cool wooden things. DM me if you are interested - I want the profits of any heart shaped succulent planter sales to go to you (the makers and creators)

Thanks for accepting the challenge Wayne, also super inspired by your bravery and honesty when you shared your battle with depression, I just got rid of the black dog myself. 

Oh and maybe we can donate a portion of profits to the Black Dog Institue or any other organisation which helps tackle mental illness. Say YES :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Wayne
Becoming a Leader

Sounds good to me Kim2, not sure of the freight costs involved but I am sure you can sort that out.
Wood Working with Wayne
Kim2
Building a Reputation

Sounds like a plan. I'll DM you once I do some reseach. Looking forward to working with you!

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

box

Finished box

Needs a stand I think.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Well done @Brad!

Do you think it is too heavy to hang on a wall?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

It is heavy, getting it to hang flat would be a challenge. I will i think make a small stand for it so it can live near the back door, not enough free wall space to hang it.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

What do you think of @Brad's work @Kim2?

I'm keen to see who wins the biscuits! :cheeky:

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects