Workshop
Ask a question

Woodworking Challenge - How would you tackle this?

Kim2
Building a Reputation

Woodworking Challenge - How would you tackle this?

I have a major crush on these heart shaped wooden succulent planters. This dude makes them in the US, I can't find any instructions on how to make a heart shaped wooden succulent planter. This is completely beyond me but how would you tackle this?heart shaped succulent boxes.JPG

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZzX-KyjmKk/?taken-by=thehuntcollection

heart shaped wooden succulent planters.jpg

P.S. This would make an AWESOME Christmas gift for any females in your life. If you manage to make it be prepared for a major boost to your popularity blokes :laugh: 

(or if you happen to be a female woodworker tackling this challenge you will be my new girl crush :D) 

Kim

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Woodworking Challenge - How would you tackle this?

Great challenge @Kim2. I'm sure some of our resident woodworkers are more than up to the task, including @Wayne, @AndrewJones, @Yorky88, @woodalwaysworks, @LePallet, @Johnnynl, @gbaker1512 and @Rusty-Saw.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Wayne
Becoming a Leader

It looks pretty straightforward really, make a template of the heart design on butchers paper or a piece of cardboard from a packing box to the size you want. Then use that to transfer your design to plywood (or pallet boards) Once you have the backboard cutout start cutting boards to the longest straight length to form the body/walls and finally the smaller cuts for the rounded/angled corners for the top of the heart shape, mitering those cuts so that the boards can be glued together. Cut the top boards for the height you wish the planter section to be and secure with glues and nails.
Once you have made all the cuts to make one planter place them together in a dry fit, number the pieces and use them all as templates for subsequent builds.
Hope that helps
Wood Working with Wayne
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Bit differant from the original. I have the complete set.

Kim2
Building a Reputation

@Wayne @Brad You make this sound so easy. May I challenge you to make one in real life? I will send wood and a collection of succulents for free, cover postage to wherever you live and you can gift it to a loved one. Just send me pics of the build :smile:

Let me know if you are interested... game on! 

Wayne
Becoming a Leader

Challenge accepted, I will make one but no need to send wood or plants.
Wood Working with Wayne
Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Same, may take a while with AGM season for companies and it looking like I will be elected as a State Chairman of a not for profit organisation.
Deanna
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Oh...I love a good challenge! Good luck @Wayne  Good luck @Brad   

Kim2
Building a Reputation

@Wayne @Brad you guys are too kind. Congratulations Brad on your new role, it sounds very exciting! May I ask which not for profit you'll be working for? 

On another note, can I make this challenge more interesting by offering a reward? Whoever makes the most beautiful heart shaped wooden planter (including succulent arrangement) gets 1 kilo of their favourite biscuits (ha should I say cookies) baked from scratch by yours truely?

I may be a novice woodworker but I am an excellent baker. 

Image result for woodworking biscuits

Don't these biscuits look tasty?? :laugh: :laugh: 

Helen
Having an Impact

Great idea! Looking forward to the challenge results, almost tempted to have a go but have too many projects going at present.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects