Workshop
Ask a question

What's eaten my plant's roots?

Rich
Finding My Feet

What's eaten my plant's roots?

Would anyone know what has happened to the roots of my plants that have died? It looks like something has eaten the roots and I'd like to know what has affected them before I try to grow anything in the soil again to prevent it from happening again. I think they were Cordyline Red Sensations.

Image 2017-11-05_21-58-22-925.jpeg

Image 2017-11-05_21-58-22-927.jpeg

Image-925.jpeg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: What's eaten my plant's roots?

Hi @Rich,

Great to see you make your first post. Thanks for joining in.

It might be helpful for other community members to know where you are based and what type of soil you have. Were the plants in a pot or in a garden bed? Also, how much you have been watering and/or how much rain have you had?

My uneducated guess is that the roots have rotted from being too wet, or perhaps a borer or fungal disease.

Jason 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Rich
Finding My Feet

They were planted in the front yard of the house prior to moving in, so I'm not sure what the soil is. And to be honest I don't really water any of the plants in the front yard which includes two yuccas and privacy hedge – which are doing great!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the extra detail @Rich.

Any ideas @Adam_W or other members of the Workshop community?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Adam_W
Workshop Legend

Hi @Rich & welcome!
I'm thinking they've actually died from a root-rot & then various soil dwelling critters have chewed on what's left.
This can happen with cordylines & all it can take is an extended wet period where the soil stays damp. It's especially likely during or post winter if the soil gets really wet & can then stay that way literally for months.
Before you plant anything else back in that area I'd be treating the soil with Anti-Rot just as a precaution. It's very low-tox so no dramas using it.

Rich
Finding My Feet

Cheers thanks everyone! Very helpful.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects