Workshop
Ask a question

Unknown critters

Flo54
Getting Established

Unknown critters

Does anyone know what these critters are I found them in a bucket of waterIMG_0700[1].JPG

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Unknown critters

They are very unusual looking creatures @Flo54. It would be good if we had a resident entomologist in the community who could identify them for you! 

Perhaps @CathM might have an idea - she spends more time in the garden than most people! She also has her own community of gardeners who might have ideas. 

Thanks for sharing,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
CathM
Cultivating a Following

I'm not sure what there are @Flo54 If you do a google search of insects, with a short description, you can usually track them down in 'images'.

I'll have a look through one of my bug books today! :smile:

Flo54
Getting Established

Thank you all for trying to identify these little critters

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

I've had a good look on Google images and can't find anything similar. Mysterious!

Did you have any luck @CathM?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Kermit
Amassing an Audience

They're certainly not tadpoles!

Brad
Kind of a Big Deal

Hellgrammites maybe, the larvae form of a Dobsonfly.

Fairly sure it is a larvae of something.

Mosquito lava see http://www.haslemerenaturalhistorysociety.org.uk/mosquitolarva.jpg and http://www.ozanimals.com/Insect/Mosquito/Culicidae%20family/.html  Edit: On reflection I am probably wrong; what size are they?

Then again they do look like the lavae of several of the mosquito species found in WA: So do a Google image search of "lavae" followed by each of these WA species and I think you will agree a mosquito.

Aedes camptorhynchus
Aedes notoscriptus
Aedes vigilax
Anopheles annulipes s.l.
Culex annulirostris
Culex quinquefasciatus
Toxorhynchites splendens

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects