Workshop
Ask a question

Pruning roses

Scottyw
Growing in Experience

Pruning roses

Another quick gardening question. Is now the right time to prune roses? If so, can anyone give some quick and easy tips? We've inherited some old roses from our new houses former owners and I would hate to kill them! 

Pruning.png

Re: Pruning roses

Hi, the main time to prune roses is in winter around the end of June or, in July early August in colder areas as long as the frost has gone. Like greygardener said "roses are tough". When the roses have finished their original flush you can deadhead them by cutting the stems back as if you were going to cut it to put in vase. This will act like a summer pruning and keep the bush in shape and bring on the next flush. Always cut to an outward facing bud if possible. This will keep the centre of the plant open for air flow. I remember hearing the curator of Flemington Race Course saying that they did the pruning of their roses 65 days before the Melbourne Cup and their display is always magnificent.
I clean my secateurs by wiping them down with Methylated Spirits and then wiping them over with machine oil. If I happen to work on a plant with a problem I clean them and then move to the next, this way I don't spread the problem to any other plants.
To sharpen I use the mill file and then fine tune on a whetstone, this brings them up nearly razor sharp.
Cheers 🍻
Be happy and care for your tools
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Anyone started pruning their roses yet?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Too early for me, will be a couple of months away.

Ours had finished flowering and were looking a bit scraggly so we pruned them yesterday. 

Jason

Sporky
Building a Reputation

I have inherited about 15 roses when I moved here. I have cut back the roses that had scaled the house to the roof, but I'm unsure what to do about the others.

I have a few creepers, which is self explanatory - I cut them off almost at the bases as they had multiple shoots. I dead headed them like my father taught me 20 years ago, but again they were creepers.

The other bushes I have are more traditional. A single stem which breaks into multiple shoots. The harder wood (the old growth?) Seems to be difficult to prune. The newer growth I have found easier to remove back to a flowering bud. Is this right?

Sorry, I'm sure it was explained in the video but my mobile phone doesn't do YouTube or video embeds well. I don't have internet because the nbn sucks.
Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Sporky
Building a Reputation

Thanks @Isobel I did look at that but I can't watch the video. I will try pruning today and try to take a photo. :smile:

Thanks!!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Here's a new how-to video for pruning roses.

It suggests early August is a good time to get out the secuteurs. 

Hope you find it useful.

Jason

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Anyone got stuck into their roses as yet?

Jason

Moosdad
Getting Established

Anyone have any tips on pruning a climbing rose?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects