Workshop
Ask a question

Bandicoots

Flo54
Getting Established

Bandicoots

Does anyone know how to deter bandicoots from the garden?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Bandicoots

It's usually rats and possums that cause troubles to gardeners @Flo54. Where are you based to have bandicoots in your garden? Hopefully there will be some community members who can share some advice with you.

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. It's fantastic to have you join us. I hope you find plenty of helpful advice, information and inspiration here. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand. You might also like to share some of your projects and plans with the community.

Thanks again,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
greygardener
Becoming a Leader

@Flo54

You are lucky to have bandicoots in the garden! They keep pests at bay like cockroaches, spiders, ants, moths, termites etc. If they are leaving holes in your lawn they are often eating pests that will harm your lawn, plus they are helping to aerate the soil.

But if you do really want to get rid of them then use lights and dynamic lifter or chicken manure in the garden. The combination of lights and unpleasant smell will deter them and is easier than fencing. Just don't use any pesticides and be careful if you have pets to keep them inside at night.  

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Yes, be careful as bandicoots are endangered and a protected species in many parts of Australia.

Flo54
Getting Established

Thanks Jason,  live in Alstonville NSW.

Flo54
Getting Established

Thanks everyone. The problem I have is digging out my plants. Yes Isobel I know their endangered I just want to keep them at bay.

Re:Bandicoots

SCAT is a product that dogs and cats dont like and i'm sure would also work with bandicoots

You live in a lovely area of Australia @Flo54. Do you have a large property?

I can understand that it would be frustrating if they were digging out your plants. I would start with the dynamic lifter or chicken poo on your garden beds. If that's not enough to deter them then I would install the lights. 

Good luck, please let us know how you go. 

Flo54
Getting Established

Thank you everyone for your ideas I will try them all out

I live on a house block in a semi rural area between Ballina & Lismore. We also have problems with rabbits.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects