Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Worms! How do I get them?

tobiasfamily
Growing in Experience

Worms! How do I get them?

I am in the process of renewing a garden bed and will be sifting soil to remove weeds, etc. before putting it in the new bed. 

The bed is on a clay base, with scoria and weedmat on the bottom, and will be filled above with soil. The bed itself is a mortared brick construction on a concrete rim slab. This is designed to keep weeds out but fear will also keep the worms out.

Can anyone advise if there is any benefit is buying worms to add to the garden? I was just thinking of adding the "worm farm" worms am interested to hear if you have tried this before and how successful it was.

Worms.png

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: How to get worms in garden.

Yes @AndreaNg, Rob recommended a shady position (direct sunlight should be avoided) that is also out of the wind and not susceptible to frost. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Perhaps under a tree with moderate amount of folage,morning and afternoon sun protected.Should give you say from 5 deg.winter to about 30 deg summer in South East Q'ld.Green matter eg.grass clippings heaped up will create heat and could affect the compust worms.They love food scraps vegie peelings ect.

Yes the myth has been busted.After reading the life habits of earth worms you are correct.Thank you, good information. 

Healthy soil is good for earthworms so you can transfer them by transferring them from one sight to another moist soil sight with your garden shovel. 

Parks
Growing in Experience

Sorry for resurrecting an old thread... but I've got a related (although opposite) question...
So once you've got worms in your garden bed, are there any tips/tricks to stop killing them when tilling the soil?!

I seem to frequently strike them when sticking in a garden fork, or when I'm levering up the clay-heavy ground, it rips them into two when the clay breaks apart.

Any tricks of the trade to get them to move away from where I'm tilling?
My heart breaks a little every time I (accidentally) kill one!

Hi Parks,

Fully understand how you feel, I used to feel heartbroken when I saw my spade chop a worm into two :unhappy:
I then asked Mr Google, and that's before this forum exists - now things are much easier :smile:

Apparently Thai farmers chant prayers to the worms when tilting their rice field.
Ok, a bit too far for me....
Then I found this amazing fact:
An adult worm has 5 hearts. They split themselves into two young worms when the conditions are ready - that is one of their ways of reproducing!

So now when I chop the worms into two bits, I am making more worms!!

However, I believe in no-dig gardening (also because I'm lazy).
Less digging = less destruction to soil structure = healthier soil.
Worms, bacteria and other micro-organism are all part of the soil structure.

In short, dig only when it is necessary and it's ok to chop worms by accident, that doesn't kill them.

Happy Gardening!

This might be educational on the topic of worm regeneration - http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/special/metro/urban-jungle/pages/130604.html

I certainly found it fascinating!

Jason

Parks
Growing in Experience

Thanks!  That article is really interesting and helpful actually!

Especially with facts like: "Sometimes a severed tail generates new tail segments instead of a head... "

I would've never guessed things can get so messed up!  :laugh:

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

It's been great to see a lot of activity on the Workshop Instagram feed this week from families installing new worm farms and composting systems as part of World Environment Day activities. It's a terrific message that everyone can do their part to build a more sustainable future. 

Feel free to share how your worm farm is going and any composting tips you might have. 

Jason

Re: Worms! How do I get them?

True.i have don it.plants grow well and you invite worms into your garden

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects