Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Woodworking Challenge - How would you tackle this?

Kim2
Building a Reputation

Woodworking Challenge - How would you tackle this?

I have a major crush on these heart shaped wooden succulent planters. This dude makes them in the US, I can't find any instructions on how to make a heart shaped wooden succulent planter. This is completely beyond me but how would you tackle this?heart shaped succulent boxes.JPG

https://www.instagram.com/p/BZzX-KyjmKk/?taken-by=thehuntcollection

heart shaped wooden succulent planters.jpg

P.S. This would make an AWESOME Christmas gift for any females in your life. If you manage to make it be prepared for a major boost to your popularity blokes :laugh: 

(or if you happen to be a female woodworker tackling this challenge you will be my new girl crush :D) 

Kim

Wayne
Becoming a Leader

Re: Woodworking Challenge - How would you tackle this?

I was going to put a false panel in mine so that the soil was only about 150mm deep.
I am held up with mine they have moved things around at the mens shed and there is no 3 phase power for the big band saw yet which I need to cut the side panels to shape.

Wood Working with Wayne
Wayne
Becoming a Leader

I had to put this aside with other projects needing completion but got a bit more done today.

Heart Shaped Wall Planter 1.jpg

Heart Shaped Wall Planter 2.jpg
I used some 90 x 35mm pine and used the heart shape as a template to draw a line to create the form of the sides, then used the bandsaw to cut out the shape for both sides. They were not perfect but near enough and could be sanded once assembled.

Heart Shaped Wall Planter 3.jpg

I glued and brad nailed the front and back to the sides and left it for the glue to cure, once dry I used a belt sander to clean up the edge profiles.

Heart Shaped Wall Planter 4.jpg

I gave the front and back panels a light sanding to clean up the faces.

Heart Shaped Wall Planter 5.jpg

I glued and nailed a board across the back for added strength and will probably attach a rope hanger for it. Possibly stainit in a dark colour and apply a finish to provide some protection from water and weather.

Wood Working with Wayne
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Wow! Looking fantastic @Wayne. You have certainly risen to this challenge!

What do you think @Kim2?

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
LePallet
Amassing an Audience

Looks awesome @Wayne
Mardi
Just Starting Out

O hey - question for Jason. 

I was trying to find some info on whether Bunnings will cut wood for you? 

Like, if I want to make a basic kidney-shaped side-table; I just need the pieces: top, and maybe 3 legs. But I want to assemble and stain it myself. And bring the wood I want cut (or buy some there). 

Do you - or any of these woodworkers - know the answer to this? :smile: 

Thanks!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Mardi,

Thanks for joining us. That sounds like a great project. I'm sure our members will be keen to see what you come up with, and would be happy to provide some advice and inspiration along the way.

Your timber cutting question is best directed to your local store, who I'm sure would be assist in any way they can. You might like to start on the Bunnings website, choose your local store, then go to the store page by clicking on the store name. On the store page you'll see a list of services, including timber cutting if available. 

Hope that helps,

Jason 

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects