Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Winter Herbs

aly
Making a Splash

Winter Herbs

Hi guys, was wondering what the best herbs are for withstanding the upcoming colder months. I'm based in Melbourne, VIC and was hoping to plant some herbs in the garden this weekend. The weather is already fresh and rainy so I was wondering what herbs should survive the winter months or what sort of protection would help - thanks!

greygardener
Becoming a Leader

Re: Winter Herbs

@aly

You can plant parsley, chives, mint, thyme, sage and garlic. You could also try corriander, although it's a little harder. 

Great, thanks for the advice! What about basil? Would it survive the colder months?
CathD
Making a Splash

Sorry @aly, basil only grows from spring through to autumn. You'll need to wait for the warmer weather. 

Yes, too late for basil now unfortunately. Plant it with your tomatoes in the spring.

Thanks for the advice! I picked up some seedlings the other night from Bunnings so will have to get planting this weekend!
Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Would love some tips on keeping corriander alive. I just lost another one...

Anyone have any luck with it in Melbourne? Latest was just a pot on the deck. 

Hi Isobel

My Youngest Son Lives in Melbourne i live in Gosford NSW but don't let that fool you we get much colder weather than 

Sydney frosts a lot and even Ice on our windscreens Mid to late winter. Your Best Bet is to protect the herbs by Creating 

a mini Cheap Greenhouse out of stakes and Plastic but let some air in protects from icy cold winds and when the suns out

with enough water Mini Greehouse Effect.

Cheers hope this works for you

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects