Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Willing to build new lawn from seed

hanley11
Finding My Feet

Willing to build new lawn from seed

Hi all I m willing to build my new lawn  from the seeds can anyone suggest me how to prepare the soil step by step what sort of chemicals or fertiliser I have to use before seeding 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Willing to build new lawn from seed

Hi @hanley11, welcome to the community. We look forward to seeing how you can transform your garden.

The Bunnings D.I.Y. advice How to grow grass from seed should be a great resource for you. I will also add the video below.  

Have a look and then come back to us with any specific questions you might have. You should also include more detail about your garden, including where you are based, what kind of soil you have, and how much sun the lawn will receive. That will really help out members provide more specific and useful advice for you. 

Many thanks,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi thx for reply I live in Whittlesey council north of Melbourne my lawn has a good sunlight and soil is bit hard 

thx

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Workshop community @hanley11. Great question, I'd be happy to assist.

One of the most important things to consider in creating a new lawn is preparation. The lawn will only ever be as good as the soil which it is planted in. You have mentioned your soil is a bit hard, I would consider using a Cyclone Tubular Steel Lawn Aerator to remove cores and aerate your lawn. This will open up the solid ground allowing nutrients, water and roots to penetrate.

A great option then would be to spread 30mm of Scotts Lawn Builder 25l Topdress Mix And Underlay over the entire area. Use a rake to work this material down into the cored plugs.

Fertilising is also essential, with Yates 15kg Dynamic Lifter Turf Starter making a perfect option for the initial seed growth period. That would then be followed up after 3 months with Scotts Lawn Builder 4kg All Purpose Slow Release Fertiliser for sustained growth. A fertiliser spreader is a great tool for ensuring an even spread of the fertiliser and lawn seed.

With the new seed being laid, it is important to make sure the soil does not dry out. A short watering in the morning and evening will ensure this doesn't happen. You may also like to look at wetting agents if water retention or run-off is an issue.

We look forward to seeing you establish your new lawn. If you need further assistance or have other questions, please let me know.

Mitchell

That is a great help thx for that

shapi
Getting Established

hi just a quick question - if I am getting new soil put in - ids it worth getting blended compost soil on top of the soil that I get -I am just worried it might be over kill if I need 30 mm of top dress?

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hi @shapi,

That really depends on your soil's quality and how much moisture it can retain. Seeds like to be kept moist, and if you're using budget soil and it's predominantly uncomposted bark, you will have a hard time keeping the seedlings alive. See the image I've posted below, which illustrates the difference between budget and premium soil. A topdress is typically quite loamy with finer broken-down and composted particles similar to premium soil. If you use high-quality soil, you could plant your seeds directly into it, and I'd suggest seed starter fertiliser to boost them. Blended compost soil sounds very similar to premium soil, so you could use budget soil for the underlayer and a premium on top.

You could use slightly less than 30mm of topdress, but that's a good amount allowing the tender roots of the seedlings to get established before penetrating down into the lesser-quality soil.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Mitchell

shapi
Getting Established

Thank you so much for your prompt response. I will take your advise :smile:

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects