Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Why can't I grow tomatoes?

Coopja
Finding My Feet

Why can't I grow tomatoes?

I have a raised garden bed with good soil and compost. I've tried growing herbs and tomatoes in it but the tomates get flowers and they don't produce tomatoes. The flowers die and drop off.

I put a cover over the plant this year and the plant looks super healthy but again, flowers dropping off.

The garden is against the north facing 

Fence but there are tall trees next door that shade the sun for some part of the day.

Appreciate any assistance. Thanks

MikeM84
Building a Reputation

Re: why can't I grow tomatoes?

How do you water them? Are they climbing style? Or bush style?

Type of fertiliser you use as well?

When I asked about watering, don’t water the plant, but the soil itself
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Why can't I grow tomatoes?

Hi @Coopja,

Sorry to read of your problem with your tomato plants. I'm sure the Workshop community can assist. In addition to Mike's great questions, could you also please tell us whereabouts you are based? The specific variety of tomatoes you are trying to grow would also be helpful for members to give you more specific advice. 

Welcome to Workshop. We are really looking forward to seeing a healthy crop of tomatoes soon, and seeing what other projects around the house and garden you might tackle in the future with a little help from the community. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MartyH
Amassing an Audience

Noelle
Kind of a Big Deal

@Coopja
The link that MartyH mentions above provides all the info you need to be able to get your tomato plants cranking out ripe, juicy fruits! Most likely culprit is lack of pollination especially as you've put a cover over the plant which may prevent suitable pollinators, like bees, getting to the flowers. As well as shaking the plants, you can try hand pollination by transferring pollen from one flower to another using a fine artist's paint brush. Really works!
IJAS
Getting Established

HI good advice before, however if you use too much nitrogen based fertilizer you get flowers, so use a dynamic lifter fertilizer and you should have success this is what I use and works well. enjoy

Thank you 👍

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Let us know how you go @Coopja. Hoping to see a good harvest soon.

Jason

mel001
Just Starting Out

Hi sorry as i jist joined thos group but by sounds you may have a pollination issue.. try hand pollination 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Many thanks for joining in the discussion and sharing some advice @mel001. I'm sure @Coopja and other readers of this popular discussion appreciate it. 

Let me extend a warm welcome to the Workshop community. We trust you'll get loads of helpful information, advice and inspiration for your projects from our amazing community members. 

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects