Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Where to start with an overrun garden

Gee
Growing in Experience

Where to start with an overrun garden

Hi, my question is where to start first?

My garden is over run and I just don't know where to start...

I want to eventually have raised vegetable garden beds and hens (3), a chicken house, but I am overwhelmed with where to start? Any pointers for the beginner would be welcomed....

Wayne
Becoming a Leader

Re: Where to start with an overrun garden

wow you have done a lot of clearing there!

Wood Working with Wayne
Wayne
Becoming a Leader

I would suggest you get a pencil and paper and draw out how you want the garden to look in the end. No matter how bad your drawing skills may be a simple floor plan is all you would need. Mark out where you want proposed things in the future - garden beds, tool shed, chicken coup, grassed area, shrubs etc etc.
In some of those areas you could spray poison, especially with tall grass and weeds. Then as others have suggested work each small area at a time, once you complete one section go on to the next. It is amazing how your confidence and enthusiasm will grow after having finished one small area! 

Wood Working with Wayne

Thanks Wayne,

That is a brilliant idea....  if only it worked for me....  I cant draw without inspiration, never have been able to....my brain just goes blank....  I appreciate the tip ,  it is a good one,  but it has never worked for me in the inspiration side,  or having a 5 year plan.... I flucked both.

I have an idea and i go with it [ in small stages]  I first decided the East side was going to be Natives and succulent as soil crap and both dont need massive water and it more sloped so water runs off. Then we found so much cement footpath around the yard and decided to contrast the white/light grey pieces with the blue stone edges

The other half will end up more like Cottage garden but hotchpotch  and more cirular and working on how I roam around that part of garden,  there I am wanting the older flowers and mixing some climbing vegies, and flowers from the countries the students come from,  so Japanese maple, cherry blossom, Korean etc

I need something to trigger off the imagination,  with the Angular side it was an old wire door and smashed cement.. then broke that by using logs from the trees we cut down in back yard, [ they are round] but placed in angles with cut outs etc.

The circular or no angular was inspired by how i walk through that part of garden

And the corner near house by the sudden arrive by air of Elephant ears from neighbours garden,  so ths it bromiliards, ferns, etc

And I am having fun,  I can work on whatever section I get inspiration for...   

Just had offloaded about 20 of the packing crates,  and load of corrogated tin,  which will wave, circle nicely,  and he took away all the gum leaves and branches from the front tree the we beheaded,  and I am think of grafting some different gums there ....  will see if it works.

Fortunately I dont have many weeds or grasses,  have been killing them off and IVY with boiling water.. [ I am against poison-  for many reasons but one is that if flows over other peoples land due to the sloping and,  boiling water will kill everything I have ever had to kill,  just cant grow anything until I put some nutrients back.

This is how the Angular is starting to shape up.... so far till rain stops

Angular.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Where to start

Hi @Gee,

Just curious whether you've been able to make a start on your project as yet. And please let me know if you need a hand uploading photos.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects