Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Where to start with an overrun garden

Gee
Growing in Experience

Where to start with an overrun garden

Hi, my question is where to start first?

My garden is over run and I just don't know where to start...

I want to eventually have raised vegetable garden beds and hens (3), a chicken house, but I am overwhelmed with where to start? Any pointers for the beginner would be welcomed....

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Where to start

I think you've made a great start already @Gee - joining Workshop! You'll find plenty of great information, advice and ideas from community members. Let me extend a very warm welcome.

You might also like to share some photos of your garden so community members can get a better feel for what you are working with. For example, is it mainly grass (and weeds!) at the moment? Do you already have some garden beds you can work with? 

Here's some posts that you might also find interesting:

I'm looking forward to seeing how your project progresses. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Gee
Growing in Experience

Hi Jason, thank you for your info. I will put some photos up shortly. It is mainly grass, leaves etc. When you see the photos you will get an idea. I guess it is trying to pick one area and start there and then build on it.

@Gee

Everyone has to start somewhere! Happy to provide any suggestions. I'm sure if we can break it down into manageable tasks it won't seem so overwhelming. 

Hi @Gee. My advice would be start small and progress in easy steps.

Get a small bit of garden going. Weed it, fertilize it, and get something growing.

Aim to get a new bed going every 2 weeks or a month.

In no time you'll have a great garden.
CathD
Making a Splash

Re: Where to start with an overrun garden

Good luck @Gee. Everyone has to start from somewhere. Please do share some photos and I'm sure everyone will be happy to help.

Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

G'day Gee
To fault, I tend to over-think things, & I'm in a similar situation that you are in.
As luck would have it, I recently saw on YouTube, a passionate gardener who doesn't weed his vege patch at all, & on purpose. His thinking is that when he propogates, it will be from the strong survivors, & maintain robust stock.

@Gee would agree with others, I have to find how to upload photos. I moved into a yard that was so overgrown with trees, bushes,etc... and loads of rubbish to remove. I started with making a walk way and burning all rubbish in huge man-made bbq from old HWS left lying around... Then the garden I started at front edge and work back, luckily soild quite good, and I use the no dig method as I had plenty of greens and browns, then tank bark.. Vegie garden taking a lot longer as there was so much overgrowth, I am still burning it up,

I got a great tip for me from uTube, and that was to have in a bag at bank and front door cippers gloves etc, so that each time I walked out I could cut or prune a little off and slowly got rid of that.... Now I am making a ad hock, hotch potch area in front garden and reducing the grass area so dont have to mow.

Wish you all the best

Janina
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Janina_G,

Inserting photos into your posts is easy. Just hit the Insert/edit Image button above the text field. The icon looks like a landscape painting. I've circled it in the screenshot below.  

Please let me know if you ever need a hand getting the most from the site.

Jason

InsertImage.png

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks Jason,

Sometimes I think  I need new glasses,  then remember I just upgraded so it must be the grey hair.

SO I AM PRACTISING,    took a long time,  I was having such a nice time reminising,   I didnt do it all by myself,   I did have help but it took another year to get something like what I wanted, and now working on hotchpotch,  after digging out all the bluestone buried all over property and making borders etc with them.

This is what my front yard looked like when I moved in April 2012

House fr SE corner 120610-3113.JPG

almost same view in 2013  now it is totally different again..

House fr SE corner  131129-004.JPG

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects