Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What type of timber for a garden bed?

yana
Getting Established

What type of timber for a garden bed?

Hi , I want to build garden bed but I don’t know what kind of wood or timber I should use . I looking for wood or timber that has chemical  free and last long in outdoor ?!!! What’s post should I use on edge of bed ???
please help !!!!!!
thank  

761A1970-6AD6-4CEB-8BB2-D99517FA5384.jpeg

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Re: garden bed

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @yana. It's fantastic to have you join us and many thanks for your question.

You might like to start by reading How to build a simple raised garden bed or for something a little more advanced How to build a raised garden bed by @Adam_W. Adam goes into detail about what materials to use and how to assemble the garden beds. I trust you'll find both articles very useful.

You'll need timber suitable for in-ground use which is typically H4 treated pine. It appears you are looking for an alternative to traditional CCA treated timber, the Micropro Sienna sleeper range would be a suitable option. There are limited options when it comes to posts with a non-CCA treatment. I would suggest you either use the Whites Retain-iT system or sleepers for the posts as well. Both of these methods are described in Adam's articles.

You might also be interested in viewing some of these fantastic projects-

Please let me know if you need further assistance or had any questions.

Mitchell

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Re: garden bed

Microshades are awesome, no need for any lining just screw them together and away you go, hardwood is fine also :smile: 
hardwood posts easy as, and or use gal brackets to keep them together

Adam_W
Workshop Legend

Re: What type of timber for a garden bed?

Hi @yana
As has been said Microshades sleepers are excellent and considered 'safe'. That's what I use in al of our food garden beds here at home.
Hardwood, if you can find it untreated, is also excellent but harder to cut & lift etc. Be aware that a lot of hardwood is CCA treated so look carefully at product details. Some peopel will suggest recycled railway sleepers. I would advise against that. Apart from being crazy-hard to work with they can be heavily impregnated with all manner of industrial grade chemicals.

Hi, I am new to gardening and looking for information about the alternatives for the treated timbers and came across your post about “Microshades Sleeper”. Can you please care to explain how would that be safe? From what I understand MS is just a coatingbof pain on top of the usual treated timber. Do you mean this coating will seal the treatment intact and there wont be any leeching. Please explain. Thanks in advance 

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @Dharanya

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. Thank you so much for joining the discussion and sharing your question about the Microshades sleeper.

The difference between the CCA-treated timber and the Microshades sleeper is that it does not contain any Arsenic. This one single difference makes the Microshades sleeper an ideal timber for use in garden beds. The treatment on the timber is done by pressure. No other treatment is made prior to this. 

Here is a handy link to MicroPro: MicroPro Sienna treatment technology 

If you need more advice or information, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects