Workshop
Start a discussion

The Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What's this fruit?

AndreaNg
Established Contributor

What's this fruit?

These fruit are growing on some lattice on our fence. The plant is on the neighbour's side so I don't know what it is. Does anyone know?

dunno.jpg

mystery.jpg

Moderator Natasha

Re: What's this fruit?

I am no expert but it looks like a Choko or chayote (/sa-yo-tay/). It belongs to the same family as cucumbers and squash.
See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
darylhewston
Super Contributor

@AndreaNg

Yep as @Natasha says it is definately a choko.  Not a lot of flavour.  I like them peeled and roasted (Deb doesn't like them).  Leaves a really weird feeling on the skin after peeling.  About $3 each at the shops over here.

Cheers

Daryl

Helen
Senior Contributor

I am surprised that you could eat it!  It's a pest in my book, I put it out every time I see it. When those pods open the seed flies every where! It will be an ongoing job for me as it is growing on next door fence & I often see it as I walk our block!

Kermit
Valued Contributor

When I was growing up there was a persistent urban myth that McDonalds used choko in its apple pies and just added apple flavouring as they were dirt cheap and had zero flavour. 

AndreaNg
Established Contributor

Thanks everyone. When do you pick them? How do you know they are ripe?

Kermit
Valued Contributor

This is a good guide @AndreaNg - http://www.wikihow.com/Select-and-Use-Chokos-(Chayote-Squash)

It tells you how to select them and how to cook them. 

darylhewston
Super Contributor

@Kermit

Don't know how much it is true but have heard the same over the years

Cheers

Daryl

AndreaNg
Established Contributor

They are still growing in big numbers! Haven't been brave enough to eat one though.

Why join the Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects