Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

What's on my tomato plant?

_Marley_
Building a Reputation

What's on my tomato plant?

Discovered yesterday when I was going to pick some tomatoes that there's a tiny mite all over the plant as well as little cobwebs. Anyone know what this is and what I should do about it? 

Tomato.jpg

Tomato2.jpg

greygardener
Becoming a Leader

Re: What's on my tomato plant?

They will be red spider mites. Have you got many tomato plants? If so I would destroy that plant before it spreads. Wrap it and put the plant in your household rubbish rather than in with your green waste.

If you want to treat the plant, use something like this to smother the insects - https://www.bunnings.com.au/yates-750ml-nature-s-way-vegie-and-herb-pest-spray_p2961940

_Marley_
Building a Reputation

Thanks. I do have other plants so I will destroy this one. I haven't seen any evidence of the mites on the other plants but will have a good look. I was surprised at how quickly this problem seemed to develop - saw no problems or signs of trouble last week... 

_Marley_
Building a Reputation

I should have also asked whether anyone knows if the fruit is okay to eat? I picked as many as I could from the plant before throwing it out. The fruit looks okay but the skin is a little discoloured. 

I don't there's any problems with eating the fruit. The mites feed on the sap of plants so the tomatoes are probably just discoloured from the ill health of the plant. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects