Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Weed killer in vegie patch

Alicia
Building a Reputation

Weed killer in vegie patch

I'd set aside a small area in the garden for winter vegies, but discovered yesterday that my partner has sprayed weed killer there. Is it now contaiminated for a long time? Is there anything I can do with it?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Weed killer in vegie patch

@Alicia

I have seen @CathM post on this topic. She advised that your garden is not contaminated but you can use mulch to help build up the garden and remove any chemical residue. Once you build up the soil level any chemical residue will be lower than most vegetable roots reach. But you would need to wait a few weeks anyway as if you are putting compost down it will be too hot. Hope that helps.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
greygardener
Becoming a Leader

In addition to composting, a liquid fertiser like Seasol will help improve the soil and break down any chemical residue that might be left behind. 

Branchy249
Cultivating a Following

It depends on the type of weedkiller that your partner has used...if it is Roundup or weedkiller containing Glyphosate - these will disappear quite quickly - usually within 2 weeks.

Do you know what weedkiller was used?

Alicia
Building a Reputation

It was Round Up @Branchy249. That is reassuring that it won't hang around for long. Thanks for everyone's help.

sprayman
Getting Established

Roundup/glyphosate is ok.
It is adsorbed by clay particles in the soil and has a half life of about 7 days.
A lot of commercial and professional growers will spray an area and plant the following day.
This allows the weeds to slowly die whilst suppressing other weeds from emerging.
All it means is you cant call it an organic garden.
Definitely use something like seasol as mentioned by greygardener.
Happy growing
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for sharing your expertise @sprayman. Great to have you as a member of Workshop.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects