Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Watering system for my backyard

DryGarden
Getting Established

Watering system for my backyard

Hi, 

It’s been a long, hot summer and I’m a little tired of hand watering the back garden. I think a simple automatic watering system would save me a lot of time, and ensure that the garden stays green.

Here’s what I’d like to do:

CC0F7398-0C4B-4EDB-B91D-FD2146995D10.jpeg

I have one backyard tap. From there I need to have an elbow turn, a 10m long section to water trees (and hopefully the shrubs around them) then another elbow turn past some more trees and finishing at our veggie garden - an 11m final section.

The circles with crosses on them are trees where I thought i’d have drippers. Then i’d probably need sprinkler heads at the end for the veggies. 

Am am I on the right track? Any problem with the plan? 

Will there be enough pressure at the end of the line to water the veggies? It’s about 20m from the tap, and after two right turns...

Hoping to get some tips before I head into store and buy all the gear. And not really sure what I will need at the moment!

Thanks for any advice.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Watering system for my backyard

Welcome to Workshop @DryGarden, we're pleased you could join us.

This sounds like a great project, we're sure community members will have completed similar projects before and be able to share their experiences and advice.

You might like to check out the following previous discussions for inspiration. They include links to Bunnings videos and How-to Advice.

Thanks again for joining in the discussion,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Kermit
Amassing an Audience

mate
i run 30 fruit tree's and 4 paddocks off 1 system, uses a Holman Blue tooth controller and its set to run 3 times a day at any increment I set, I have it running of my 30000ltr tank near the front shed and the piping is hidden along the fence line and then mulched in around the garden, very simple very cheap :wink:
I will pop up a video of it when i get home if you like, FYI mine runs a total of 1.7k's

Thank you, that really helps get me started.

A video would really help too, thanks.

got stuck at meetings today, will try for friday arvo and or the weekend :smile: 

TheSaltyreefer
Becoming a Leader

Mate

Did a quick little video, hope it helps in your decision

Thanks again. Got all the gear I think I need now. Looking forward to putting it all together.

IMG_5828.jpg

Thought I would post a quick update. I finally got around to laying the poly pipe on the weekend. 

First thing I discovered is that the pipe is a lot more flexible than I expected so I didn't need the elbow for the second turn, it could easily just curve around the tree. 

Second thing I discovered is that 25 m wasn't quite enough! So I had to go back to Bunnings and get some more, as well as one of these - https://www.bunnings.com.au/holman-2-way-metal-tap-outlet_p3110519 - because I forgot that it would be a pain to be unscrewing the watering system every time I wanted to use the hose. I also needed more pins for holding the pipe in place. 

The good news is that water is flowing all the way through, so now all I need to do is add the drippers and the sprinklers. Hopefully next weekend.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects