Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Vertical garden with built-in watering system

kel
Making a Splash

Vertical garden with built-in watering system

IMG_0002.JPG

Note from the Bunnings Workshop community manager: If you want to build this fantastic vertical garden, Mitch has created step-by-step instructions here - How to build a vertical garden

kel
Making a Splash

D.I.Y. vertical garden

IMG_0299.JPG
ProjectPete
Kind of a Big Deal

Re: the vertical gardens that i built

Looks great! The plants should get enough protection from the high heat that colorbond fences create.

----------
Handy and helpful
Instagram @projectpete.diy @at.home.rosehill @kayudesignco @aspirebamboo
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Love this @kel. Great work.

Thanks also for sharing the more recent shot all planted up.

I'm sure this will inspire many other Workshop community members.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
kel
Making a Splash

thanks jason,i made 3 of these that are along my fence,and they all have a watering system installed,so now i only have to turn a tap on and my whole garden is watered from my rainwater tank.

Yorky88
Becoming a Leader

This looks great well done. Did it take you long to build @kel?

kel
Making a Splash

hi yorky88

just a few days  to build,if you want to build one yourself i will outline the process .just say you want to fill a 4 metre section, dig 4 post holes 1 metre apart for your uprights.i used 3 metre sleepers that i ripped down the centre.now screw a star picket to the back of each of your uprights,then cement each upright in its post hole with the picket at the back and let setfor the cross beams i also used sleepers ripped down the centre,and bolted these to the uprights,one beam across the top and the other halfway down.i forgot to mention that before i set the uprights,i knotched out  for the cross beams so that sit flush.then for the flower boxes,just measure the gap between each set of beams and make your boxes to that dimension.for the boxes i used 200x25 rough sawn treated pine,which i screwed together to form the boxes.once you have made all your boxes,then just screw them to your upright beams,setting them at an angle.then you can build your base planter box frame and  bolt it to your uprights.give the whole thing a coat of decking oil and you are ready to plant your garden,if you want to add a watering system, i just ran 13mm poly pipe along the top beam and centre beam and added mist sprays. i hope you get a rough idea from this and happy building yorky88

cheers kel

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Kel photos

Just wanted to share some additional photos that our photographer took of @kel's wonderful vertical gardens.

You can also read Judy's story and learn about the genesis of this project at our blog -  https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Blog/Hands-on-for-a-sense-of-achievement/ba-p/18159

Thanks again for sharing your creation and inspiring us, Judy.

Jason

Garden1.jpg

Garden2.jpg

Garden3.jpg

girrlzrok
Finding My Feet

Looks great I would like to do a vertical garden on communal space fence but need pernission first with lots of detail. I love the idea of upcycling and have balcony and courtyard space of my own and garden bed in front of me which I've already put plants in but need to factor shade in that area.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for joining in the discussion @girrlzrok. It would be great what you have done on your balcony and courtyard area. And do let us know if you need a hand with your vertical garden project. I hope you get permission to proceed with it.

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects