Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Value of shade growing veges in summer

Grub80
Making a Splash

Value of shade growing veges in summer

Hi all, thought I would share of my learnings of the value of shade this summer and the photos. Im picking about 4kgs of tomatoes every 3-4 days off 8 plants. I tend to leave the old leaves on for protection. I’ve  tried to not use any sprays or dust this year. But the odd Tom gets eaten, but well worth the sacrifice. Got one today though 👍

the 1st photo shows the plants in full sun, I’ve left these to see how they go. They are a different variety, Roma’s, but I’m picking fruit today and will have some to go.

for all of you that have grown Veges this summer and have had results, Well Done. I think anyone deserves a medal in this extreme summer heat.Full sun, no shadeFull sun, no shadeGot one!Got one!Still flowering and fruitingStill flowering and fruiting 

Re: Value of shade growing veges in summer

Hi @bluemoonskye,

The wonderful @Grub80 has a lot more information (including materials used) on this post - https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Gallery/Home-made-shade-hoop-house/cns-p/24129

Please take a look and let us know if you have any questions as I'm sure @Grub80 and the rest of our amazing community will be more than happy to help in any way they can to help you build something similar for your garden.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects