Workshop
Start a discussion

The Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Tips for growing snow peas and sugar snaps

_Marley_
Established Contributor

Tips for growing snow peas and sugar snaps

I love eating snow peas and sugar snaps, but they are very expensive to buy. I want to grow some this winter. I've had a go at snow peas before and wasn't very successful - just didn't get much of a crop at all. Anyone got any tips?

greygardener
Super Contributor

Re: Tips for growing snow peas and sugar snaps

Not sure where you are based but make sure you have a nice sunny spot. You need plenty of sunshine - at least 5 or 6 hours a day.

Are you going to grow from seeds or seedlings? Be careful with seeds - you want damp soil but don't water them initially as the seeds can rot.  

Alicia
Established Contributor

Following this one as I'd also like to grow sugar snaps.

Community Manager Jason
Community Manager

@_Marley_@Alicia

We just planted some on the weekend. We turned the soil over, mixing the old pea straw into the soil, added some compost, then planted the seedlings about 10cm apart. We've got a few cages that they can climb on. We then put down some new pea straw and watered them in. See here for some pictures. A few days later I gave them some seaweed solution. We had great success in the same spot with tomatoes so I'm hopeful we'll get a decent crop of peas. If any green thumbs can add further tips for success, I'd love to hear them.

Jason 

Show off your handiwork at the Workshop Gallery

Why join the Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects