Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Tall man raised garden bed for vegetables

mdstorrs
Building a Reputation

Tall man raised garden bed for vegetables

I just finished my "tall man" vege garden box and we will start to plant this weekend. All timber, tools and accessories were bought from either the Keperra or Brendale stores.  It turned out better than I hoped considering I have never worked with large pieces of Timber before only ever small wooden projects. Thanks Bunnings!

IMG_20190112_182216.jpg

IMG_20190113_155529.jpg

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Top 10 most popular raised garden beds

Looks fantastic @mdstorrs. Well done! Many thanks for sharing. 

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. We look forward to seeing more of your projects and reading about your future plans. Feel free to post whenever you need a hand or have something to share. And please let me know if you ever need help getting the most from the site or have any feedback about how we can improve Workshop for you.

All the best,

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Hi Jason!  Thanks for helping us with our dreamed of Veggie Patches, much appreciated. 

I understand it's a very difficult maneuver for most, but down here on the Mornington Peninsula in good old Vic., 'Possums' in a word! 

They are my dreaded concern whilst wanting to build a hopefully still attractive and very fruitful VERY 'high rise' Garden Bed.

I'm 5'10"!! 😁

But boy those 'first land owners' can leap.  After they ate my newly planted shrubs (A cocktail party with one each @ my three new fresh plants)  I had to grin really!  In the early hours I peeked outside and there they were, all 3 up on hind legs munching away on a whole plant each - all gone!  We took care of a disabled Possum (one of her front paws was congenitally impaired) for 8 years who was great mates growing up with our burnt, sick and injured Rescue Cat from the Black Saturday Bush Fires in 2009 and I think the others figured it was a free for all after Barney very sadly moved on to another life, no longer to visit our lounge room.

Back to the Veggie Garden -

Without having to consider covering the whole thing with mesh, wire or the like, how can I stop these lovable cuties from climbing up the walls and munching on my hopeful creations we are growing to sustain us - not them?

My lifes Motto has always been - "There is ALWAYS a way, we've just gotta find it" - I just haven't yet.

I understand Quassia Chips have been helpful for some, but concerned about how to use them when I do outsmart the Possums.

Either way, chatting with this great community, I have already learnt a whole lot so here's hoping...

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @22Jill,

Many thanks for joining in the discussion. We're really pleased to have you join the community. 

Sorry to read of your possum troubles. Here's some previous Workshop discussions and articles that you might find helpful to get some ideas and inspiration:

Hope that helps kick things off. Feel free to post anytime you need a hand or have something to share. We have loads of helpful members sharing helpful advice and amazing project inspiration every day. 

Jason

Jessa
Just Starting Out

Re: Tall man raised garden bed for vegetables

What timber did you use ?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Hi @Jessa,

Welcome to the Workshop community. It's great to have you join us!

Let me tag member @mdstorrs so they are alerted to your question about what timber they used in their raised garden bed. Are you planning on building something similar? Have you seen the step-by-step article How to build a raised garden bed by @Adam_W? It includes a full list of tools and materials, and Adam provides some advice about what timber to use when growing food. I trust you'll find it very informative. 

Jason

mdstorrs
Building a Reputation

Hi @Jessa.

I used the H4 Microshades timber. 200mm x 50mm.  It was probably overkill for the job. The final product probably weighs over a tonne.

I lined the walls with black plastic to reduce long term water damage and to stop any chemicals coming back into the soil. Even though I think the H4 microshades is a safer option. No arsenic. 

I hope that helps.

Michael

Jessa
Just Starting Out

Awsome! did you sand back and stain ?

bluemoonskye
Building a Reputation

The only problem I found with this is how much soil it needs. I had one full, the other 3/4 full. It took forever, but it wasn’t all potting mix, it was garden soil too. And most of the plants were top dwellers & so the depth was not necessary. Except to say it was built that way to save my back from unnecessary pain. I have fibromyalgia & it’s very trying on my spine. 

What type of fill did did you use to fill it?

Hey again @bluemoonskye.

Workshop member @Aussie-Garden recently faced the same challenge and came up with this - https://www.workshop.com.au/t5/Garden/My-version-of-a-Hugelkultur-raised-garden-bed/td-p/37130

Let me also tag @mdstorrs for you to see how they filled their fantastic raised bed. 

Jason

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects