Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Sunflower seeds

newtogardening
Just Starting Out

Sunflower seeds

I have been given a couple of sunflower seeds as a gift. Where can i plant them and how ? 

greygardener
Becoming a Leader

Re: Sunflower seeds

Where are you based @newtogardening?

Generally you don't plant them at this time of year. You plant them in spring or early summer. Then they only take a few months to mature. 

Given they are 'sun'flowers, they love sunny spots. They can grow up to 2m, so give them some headspace too.
Salfred
Just Starting Out

I realise this is a bit of an old conversation, but I was hoping someone might know whether its too late now to plant some sunflower seeds?

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

It's never too late to join the discussion @Salfred, although it might be too late to plant those seeds. Hopefully community members with green thumbs like @QuailFlock and @greygardener can let you know.

You might also find this information from Bunnings useful - How to plant and care for sunflowers.

Let me also extend a very warm welcome to the Workshop community. We're really pleased you could join us and look forward to reading about your projects and plans. I'm sure you will learn a lot from our members and be inspired by their creativity. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Helen
Having an Impact

Having trouble this year with giant Russian sunflowers, been snapped off before they get to size!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

That must be frustrating @Helen. Why do you think they are snapping off? Is it the wind? 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Helen
Having an Impact

No, sorry should have said eaten flower heads & chewed off just below flowers, cocky damaged! Is frustrating, was waiting for a great display.

Have you tried anything to keep the cockatoos away @Helen? Perhaps a kite or some fishing line across the area?

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects