Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Suggestions for Fruiting plants/trees that can planted in pots

NehaJain
Getting Established

Suggestions for Fruiting plants/trees that can planted in pots

Hi All,

I have recently started gardening and would love to plant some fruiting plants/trees but there is a small constraint I am renting at the moment hence I can only plant them in pots. Therefore I am looking for some suggestions that are suitable for pots, beginner (easy to maintain) and Melbourne weather. Please share some tips along with your suggestions.

i currently have a lime plant and Chilean guava.

Thanks in advance for all the tips and suggestions.

NehaJain
Getting Established

Re: Suggestions for Fruiting plants/trees that can planted in pots

Thanks @MartyH really appreciate your response, but I know some this information is already available online but the intent of posting my queries here is to seek guidance of the experience people in the similar situation as I am. And to know what has worked for them the best.
MikeM84
Building a Reputation

Tomatoes, Chillies, leeks, onions, garlic, lettuce, broccoli and much more can grow in pots.

I suggest provide abit more details, so we can assist in advising best way to grow them :smile:

NehaJain
Getting Established

Thanks for your response @MikeM84  - I am looking for fruit plants/trees that I can plant in pots as I am renting at the moment. Also I am looking for the plants that do not require support. Also I am a beginner I need something that require low maintenance I can do fertilizers and all but I am not very handy setting up the support system for them to climb.

I wanted to plant tomatoes but from my research they need support as they grow older, plus since it's beginning of December and I live in Melbourne not sure if this is the right time to get one.

Something like dwarf lime, dwarf mandarin, any plants that will be happy in pots and fruit in them.

Let me know what sort of details are would be helpful for you to advise me.

MikeM84
Building a Reputation

Dwarf trees are definatey good for rental.

i suggest getting a very big pot, add premium potting mix with compost and plant.

lemon, oranges, limes, grapefruit, do great.

make sure to use fertiliser as well once you move them in pot. 

I recommend seaweed concentrated powder from Bunnings, called ecoseaweed.

you also may need support too for first few weeks or months to keep them stable.

basic wooden stake is great:)

btw support for veggies are not hard to do:) 

examples: stake or trellis, you can buy and train them, usually cucumbers I use trellis, tomatoes I use stakes.

as long as it’s secure most veggies will climb with there tendons.

once home I will show you my cucumber trellis, took literally few mins once a week to support it

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects