Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Succulent frames for vertical garden

gregoreau
Growing in Experience

Succulent frames for vertical garden

A few years ago, I made some succulent frames to hang on our courtyard wall. After three years, they started to look a bit tired, so I remade them with some improvements.

They are essentially treated pine with 45 degree mitres nailed together to form an open box. The bottom of the box is some corflute sheeting. My original design used marine ply, which didn't hold up to the constant moisture. Also, I previously used a succulent potting mix, but found it kept falling out of the frame.

This time I decided to first line the box with garden plastic, and then instead of soil, I used sphagnum moss. Once the succulents have taken root, I will hide the exposed plastic and chicken wire edges with some merbau trim. 

673B25AC-72C9-4BCD-85A6-4E0721504DBE.jpeg

It hangs on the wall via french cleats, so it helps to have a table saw to rip those before putting the frame together.  The below photos illustrate how that works. 

4D3F5657-0AE0-42E2-A75C-F697927AA044.jpeg  DBE6581C-6D90-4220-9D44-539488AB6272.jpeg

Its not a particularly difficult project, and its a great way to spruce up a bare wall. 

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Succulent frames for vertical garden

Love it @gregoreau, fantastic work. Many thanks for sharing your first project with us. We are looking forward to seeing more!

Feel free to post whenever you have something to share or need a hand with a project around the house or garden. We have loads of members sharing helpful advice and inspiring work. 

Welcome to Workshop. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thanks for the tips @gregoreau. I was gifted a similar box and have had difficulty keeping them alive. I’ll try the sphagnum moss and let you know how it goes 👍🏻
StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

How are these holding up a couple of years on @gregoreau?

It would be fantastic to hear an update and see the frames with the Merbau trim.

Stevie

gregoreau
Growing in Experience

94084228-F146-4978-B4A0-4CC5E541844B.jpeg

Hi Stevie,

Thanks for reaching out for an update.

They are actually going strong... well, maybe not strong but they are alive.

I think the spot is too shady for them to really thrive.   I also need to be more diligent with my watering and fertilising I think.  Hopefully spring will give them a boost.

All build components are holding up well to the elements.

For some context, you can see the three frames in our courtyard, towards the back on the right wall.

IMG_6136.jpg

StevieB
Retired Team Member
Retired Team Member

Thanks so much for sharing @gregoreau.

Your courtyard looks wonderful with all the greenery. Great to hear an update and look forward to hearing about any other projects you're working on.

Stevie

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects