Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Spring gardening tips

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Spring gardening tips

Spring is in the air and officially only a few days away. It’s time to head out into your backyard to see what needs some attention before the season begins. Now is a great time to ensure that everything is prepared so you’ll get a head start on the growing season.

Back to the shed

Inspect all of your tools looking for any damage from the previous season and check that they are in good working order. Sharpen those blades, oil the hinges and consider whether you need any upgrades or would like to expand your collection. Tools in great condition make easy work of tough jobs.

Clear out those beds

Ensure you establish a clean slate. Remove all weeds and debris from your growing areas back down to bare soil. It’s a great idea to use this opportunity to apply compost, manure and a thick layer of Sugarcane or Lucerne mulch. Your main concern should be removing any weeds that have survived the winter. If they are not removed now then they will flourish and compete for nutrients with your herbs and vegetables.

Get out the clippers

Early spring is the perfect time to prune woody ornamentals. This establishes their form for the season. Start by pruning off anything that is damaged, unsightly or that has died back. Some plants you should not prune this time of year and they include Camelia, Rhododendron, Azalea and Hydrangeas. They bloom on old wood and it’s best to wait until they have finished flowering.

Start planting

It’s great to get a head start on planting for spring. As soon as the last frost is over you can get those plants in the ground. But don’t let that stop you from propagating now as many plants can be started indoors and then moved outside.

I’m looking forward to planting a few varieties of heirloom tomatoes, chillies and some pumpkins which I’ve never grown before. Currently I have lettuce, carrots, snow peas and onions which are all doing fantastic.

What do you plan on growing this spring? Have you already started your preparation? Do you have any tips to share with the community?

Feel free to ask any questions you might have and I trust our gardening experts would be more than happy to share their knowledge.

Happy gardening!

Mitchell

Spring.jpg

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Spring gardening tips

I'm very excited for spring as it's been a long, tough winter here in Melbourne. It's still too cold to plant anything in the garden but I want to get a few seeds planted this weekend for the window sill, ready for planting once it gets a little warmer. Will definitely get some more jalepenos going as I'm not sure my existing plants have survived the winter frosts. Will also get plenty of herbs going. 

Jason

gitu
Finding My Feet

Hello

I just started kitchen gardening. What is the best time to grow some summer vegies in Melbourne? Like Tomatoes, chilies and other greens? 

MitchellMc
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community @gitu.

That is great to hear you have just started a kitchen garden and a perfect time to join our community as we have plenty of gardeners willing to lend a hand and share their knowledge.

As it's the start of Spring now I believe Melbourne is seeing the temperatures rise. It would be good to get those seedlings growing now allowing a head start on the season. If you are still having some cooler nights you can use a Mr Fothergill's Jiffy 36 Peat Pellet Greenhouse and germinate your seeds indoors. You can then transplant them outside later in the season when they have established.

We look forward to hearing what you have planted and seeing what type of crop you manage to produce.

Please let me know if you need any assistance.

Mitchell

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

@Grub80 

Been a while since we heard from you. Hope you are doing OK in this most challenging year. 

How's your garden looking? Let us know if you need a hand with anything. It would also be great to hear what you are planting for the summer.

Jason

Hi @Jason @, thanks for the note, just been very busy, and a huge dose of two herniated discs (moving a 50 litre pot full of wet soil), so learnt my lesson!. Hope you are well! My garden has been a learning lesson this season. After building the 2nd hoop house, my results were disappointing. Cauliflowers went to seed this year. May have not watered enough, as the new hoop house has a plastic cover. I’m going to remove it, and have sewn a shade cover for summer. Had glorious peas, great crop. Carrots, (I’m still picking), cabbages, broccoli, bok choy,potatoes. (I love growing potatoes in 50 litre pots (hence the back 😆).

just now waiting just a couple more weeks. This is a great time to prepare the beds, manure, water, a bit of soil amendments and a big mulch and water deeply. I’m checking the irrigation is working too! Can’t wait for this season!

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Thanks for the update @Grub80. Hope you have recovered now. 

Looking forward to seeing what you grow in the warmer months ahead. 

Jason

Akanksha
Projects Editor
Projects Editor

Spring is officially here again, and this checklist is great for anyone wanting to prepare their garden for the warmer months ahead. 

Let us know if you have any questions about the above or would like a hand in your own garden project. We'd be happy to assist.

Tagging some gardening experts in our community to see if they have any other tips they'd like to add to the list above. 

@Adam_W@Noelle @LisasGarden 

Akanksha

@Akanksha  feed, feed, feed!
Everything will be hungry as it wakes from winter dormancy.
Use a quality fertiliser, preferably something that's organically boosted so you are feeding the soil, not just the plants. My fave is Osmocote + Organics. Saves having to use multiple products and the controlled release component feeds reliably for months. Suitable for pots too.
After spreading fertiliser water in with a seaweed tonic to kick-start the feeding.

robchin
Becoming a Leader

Hi @gitu 

Love a new gardener. Kitchen gardening is a great thing to do. 

The old rule in Melbourne used to be plant Tomatoes on Cup day to be eating them for Christmas. BUT now we can get tomato seedlings now in stores from September - so as long you aren't expecting any frost where you are - plant them now. You'll never regret growing your own tomatoes and other veges. Top-Tip - good veges are based on good soil prep. Start in winter by preparing your garden beds with compost and manure. If your growing in pots - use good sized pots and high quality premium potting mix. 

Other top-tip don't put tomatoes, chillies, capsicums etc into the same spot in the garden every year. 

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects