Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Soursob

geejaybee
Growing in Experience

Soursob

What is the best way to kill soursob in the lawn and garden beds with out spraying glyphosate. I have managed to stop them in my back garden by pulling them out by hand but the front garden is a nightmare at the moment. Any advice that will save my back would be greatly appreciated.

Isobel
Amassing an Audience

Re: Soursob

Have you had any luck @geejaybee?

geejaybee
Growing in Experience

Only sort of, I have sat out there pulling them by hand but unfortunately it has rained so much I have trouble getting out there. But i do now have a 6meter tall gum tree collapsed in the back yard crushing quite a few grevillias with it. But that happens when you get 100km+ winds.

Persistence is the key word.
Each week, for 5 years, I have been digging out the soursob in a small area in the garden. This area is now free of soursobs! Pure will power!
geejaybee
Growing in Experience

It would seem that I have pulled out all the soursob from the front yard, all 30+ square meters. Now all I have to do is wait for next season to see how many reappear and do it all again. Thankyou to everyone for your responses to the nuisance problem!
Andy_Mann
Former Community Member

Well done@geejaybee, it does take time & patience, but at the end of the weed session, it looks amazing & fires you up for the next weed season.

I get a real buzz out of looking over the weed free area when I'm done, knowing that next season will be easier, & another step closer to eradicating them.

Great job @geejaybee! I'm sure all the hard work will be worth it.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Well done. I'm sure if you keep at it you will win the battle.

I find this weeder better https://www.bunnings.com.au/fiskars-xact-4-prong-weed-puller_p2970049 ; certainly saves the back and is very effective. Works on the winter-grass, dandelions, bindi, flatweed etc as well. Note there are 2 models at the same price; the newer one has the golf club shaped handle and carbon fibre composite foot piece (rather than plastic which more easily breaks). I am really hanging out for the weeder equivalent to the robovac though as I hate gardening and loath weeding.

Good news, no more hard work killing the weeds. Apparently they are edible!!
Someone was harvesting the weeds in a patch near the playground and told me they are a delicacy, then I find this proof -
http://www.gcc.mass.edu/permacultureblog/2013/08/28/wait-you-can-eat-that/
Kermit
Amassing an Audience

I think I'll pass @QuailFlock.

I'm always shocked when I go past those juice bars and see people lining up for those grass drinks...

grass.jpg

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects