Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Sooty mould on lemon tree

CathD
Making a Splash

Sooty mould on lemon tree

I got an email from the Yates Gardening Club today that reminded me about the sooty mould I used to have on my lemon tree.

It looked like this:

Lemon 2.JPG

If you ever see this kind of black ash on your citrus leaves or lots of ants, make sure you tackle the problem. It's caused by scale insects which are sap suckers and will likely kill your tree. You need to use a pyrethrim-based spray to smother and suffocate the insects.

Cath

timjeffries
Making a Splash

Re: Sooty mould on lemon tree

I had this on my last lot of citrus. I didn't get onto it early enough and it was a disaster. Got a whole new bunch of citrus in now and am always on the lookout for it.

you both correct , Mold is the end result of an initial problem , The insects break the membrane on a leaf giving Mold a food source , Mold cannot self sustain its life without a spore a food source and moisture , as no one can stop mold as it is needed in our enviroment to break down organic matter , your both correct , wage a war on the insects quickly .
enginibraimi
Getting Established

Pls someone help me. How can I fix this? What is the name of the spray I need to buy ?

EricL
Bunnings Team Member
Bunnings Team Member

Hello @enginibraimi 

Welcome to the Bunnings Workshop community. It's wonderful to have you join us.

Sooty mould on citrus trees occurs when aphids or similar sap-feeding insects infest them. These pests feed on the sugary juices and release a sticky substance called "honeydew," which serves as a magnet for the development of unsightly black mould. 

I suggest spraying the tree with Yates 750ml Ready To Use Nature's Way Citrus And Ornamental Spray. It's an insecticide that carries organic certification and is specifically formulated to efficiently manage insect pests on fruit trees, ornamental plants, and vegetables.

This spray harnesses the power of pyrethrin, a natural insecticide derived from the pyrethrum daisy, along with canola oil. It effectively targets a diverse range of insect pests, whether they chew on or suck plant tissues. Additionally, this product offers the advantage of seaweed extract, which enhances plant growth.

It's important that you target the insects that are causing the fungal growth. Once the insects are eliminated the tree should be able to recover.

My number one reminder is to make sure to spray underneath the leaves so that the entire tree is covered.

Please remember to wear personal protection such as gloves, goggles and a mask. Please make sure to follow all the safety precautions recommended at the back of the bottle.

Here is a link to our best advice: How do you keep sooty mould off your lemon tree?

If you need further assistance, please let us know.

Eric

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!

Thank you Eric. I will try and let you know how I go.

Also, my citrus (lemon & orange) in the last two years have been battling with producing fruits but most importantly also leaves. Number of leaves are getting less and less and also yellow. I have tried many things but I don’t seem to recover it. The first three years number of new leaves and fruit produced it was enormous. Just for record I did not feed anything in this three years. Please help on this too.

Hi @enginibraimi,

It sounds like you need to start feeding the plants. I'd recommend applying Scotts Osmocote Slow Release Fruit and Citrus Fertiliser every six months. This will provide your plants with the steady flow of nutrients they need.

You might like to post some pictures of the plants and provide a bit more information on your watering regime, the mix they're planted into and whether the pots have good drainage.

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Mitchell

IMG_4794.jpeg

IMG_4793.jpeg

First pic is lemon and second one is orange. How much feed you think this two trees will need?

Hi @enginibraimi,

Your trees do look like they could use a bit of a feed. I'd recommend following the application instructions on the fertiliser container.  For the Scotts product I linked to above, it's four tablespoons per metre of height.

How's the water drainage in the area? Does the soil dry out in between rain and your watering?

Mitchell

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects