Workshop
Ask a question

Ridding the garden of snails

kaylah_rose
Making a Splash

Ridding the garden of snails

snails.jpg

This is the snail family that makes a 8 hour journey across our front path nearly every night. 

I know that snail / slug killer is readily available to remove them, however I don't really want to kill them. I would rather send them elsewhere. (there are baby ones!)

Does anyone have any tips or alternatives to ridding the garden of snails and also any tips or handy hints on how to keep them away?

Or is using the snail/slug killer my best option? I feel like they are currently hosting a family reunion in our front yard. 

Kay

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Re: Snail Family

Snail bait is horrible stuff. My dog ate some that had been put down months earlier but it had a dramatic and immediate effect on him and we nearly lost him. I don't think anyone should use it, especially not in a front yard. 

I know a lot of gardeners swear by the beer in a container method. But if you don't want to kill them then I'd grab them and throw them in the compost bin. If you've got kids or friends or family with kids you can pay them 5c a snail or something! 

I also wonder whether attracting birds to your front yard might help? 

@Kermit thanks for the heads up! Hadn't even thought of that.

Not sure what the beer in a container method is? Does that kill the snails?

Might need to invest in a compost bin I think... Would the snails spread from the compost back to the garden though?

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

Sorry @kaylah_rose, I wrote compost bin but meant green waste bin. Do you have a green waste bin that gets emptied every week or fortnight like the rubbish collection? You obviously need a bin with a lid and with the green waste they've got plenty to feed on but then hopefully get taken away to greener pastures....

If you put beer in a plastic container the snails will be really attracted to it and drown. So yeah, it will kill them. This trap looks a little more sophisticated.

Note that the video below features someone eating a snail as a joke. I've been asked to put a little warning that this is a dangerous thing to do - people have become seriously ill from eating snails that weren't professionally prepared for consumption. 

greygardener
Becoming a Leader

One trick to keep snails away from plants is to sprinkle crushed egg shells around. The egg shells have sharp edges which feel unpleasant under the snails' soft bodies, so they will avoid climbing over them to get to the plants.

Picking them up and moving isn't a stupid idea, either. Aparently moving snails just 20 feet away from your garden has shown to be just as effective as killing them. 

Thanks for the advice @Kermit & @greygardener

I am going to give both these ideas a go. Hopefully the snail family migrates soon enough. They haven't surfaced for a while, but with all the wet weather it probably won't be long. 

Kermit
Amassing an Audience

@Kermit if this snail showed up at my house. I think I would move out....

Branchy249
Cultivating a Following

Sprinkling salt across the path will stop them also...

yeh I use all of the methods and slugs are even worse but I still have them Beer is best in low pot plant trays I find knocks out heaps at once plus I do the egg shells and occasionally bait Salt is also good on specific crops like celery I sprinkle some on around the base at night to deter them 

Been collecting them for years and I have blue tongs and birds but still they come!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects