Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Should I put weeds in my compost bins ? What do other members do?

Annette
Making a Splash

Should I put weeds in my compost bins ? What do other members do?

For 3 years since we started our suburban vegie patch we have been throwing weeds into our compost bins but Hubby and myself are not in total agreement as to whether weeds should go into the compost bins at all. What do other members do? Hopefully your answers will settle a longstanding discussion in this household about this topic. 

Maybe I should place a bet with Hubby so that I can get something out of this when I win ! I will tell you after I have your answers whether Hubby or I won the argument - I mean discussion :smile: 

We have 1 fixed plastic compost bin (not pictured) and 3 compost barrels which are in direct sunlight all day. We really prefer the barrels as they are much easier to use and only take about 5 - 6 weeks for the compost to be ready as opposed to several months with the fixed bin. We also prefer the black one to the green ones as it is so much easier to turn with the help of the handle on the side.

Compost bins

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Should I put weeds in my compost bins ? What do other members do?

Good topic @Annette. I am curious as to which side of the fence you are on!

I had always thought that it was a bad idea to put weeds in the compost as they will spread when you use the compost in your garden later. Better to put them in your green waste bin. 

Keen to read opinions from other community members.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
greygardener
Becoming a Leader

It is safer not to put any weeds in your compost. But you can if you are careful and avoid putting in weeds that have gone to seed, or spread by runners. If you have a hot composting system then it should kill any weed seeds, or you can put them in a black plastic bag first for a few months. 

I know @timjeffries has hot composting bays, he might like to add to this discussion.

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
BibbyKat
Having an Impact

Many years ago .. I did exactly this .. but some years later .. it backfired on me.  I was (I thought) careful not to put in weeds that were "seeding" .. BUT .. somehow they did sneak into my garden bed.  

My answer now is .. NO .. don't take the risk!

To the left is a double carport with an office behind it. What you are looking at is what we call the "side garden" which at the moment has rhubarb in the blue buckets (we have already picked 2.4 kilos), peas, carrots and beetroot in the long steel tub and in the square patch in front of the lattice we have just started corn. The main area of our vegie patch is behind the office on the other side of the lattice fence in the picture. 

As to a green waste bin -  I would dearly love to have a green waste bin but ACT government have only recently introduced a trial program in 2 nearby suburbs despite the fact that the green bins have been successful in other cities for over 30 years. I would be very interested to know how many Workshop members have a green waste bin.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects