Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Setting up an automatic irrigation system

Jason111
Finding My Feet

Setting up an automatic irrigation system

Hi all.  I have a question about the placement of solenoids/valves.   I intend to set up a 240v control station, maybe 8-10 stations.  

I intend to install a manifold with about 8 solenoids near my front tap.  It is on the blind side of the house and out of the way so I will probably install the manifold against the brick wall of the house for easy inspection/repairs/add-ons. The system would be running downhill to the front yard.

My question is, is it just as effective to have the manifold against the house and run polypipe from there or is it better to run hard piping (copper or PVC) down to the gardens and add solenoids underground closer to the point of the sprinkler heads?  Advice is appreciated.  I've seen it done both ways on Youtube.  Gotta love Youtube.

thanks.  Jason.

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Setting up an automatic irrigation system

Hi @Jason111,

Great to see you make your first post. Welcome to the Workshop community. I'm sure members will be happy to help you with this project and many others to come in the future. Let me tag a couple of members who might be keen to help, including @redracer01 and @MitchellM.

You might also be interested in these previous discussions on irrigation systems:

Holman BTX1 watering controller review by @TheSaltyreefer

Garden irrigation system by @GardenerJohn, with great advice from @Branchy249

Watering system by @Brian

Thanks for joining in the discussion and sharing your project. I'm looking forward to seeing it come together. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
MartyH
Amassing an Audience

I thought I'd bump this for you @Jason111 as I don't have the answer. But I am curious as to why you think it would make any difference?

MitchellM
Amassing an Audience

@Jason111

Hiya, solid pipe is solid pipe. You can put your solenoids wherever you like. The reason you would put your solenoids at the manifold, at the tap, is that you would not want 12v cable running all over your yard. If you are happy to run the cables, put it where ever you like. :smile:

I am a Bunnings team member. Any opinions or recommendations shared here are my own and do not necessarily represent those of Bunnings. Visit the Bunnings website for assistance from the customer service team.

Thanks Marty and Mitchell. I think I may have worded my question pretty poorly but your responses have been helpful and I will go with placing the solenoids at the manifold.
Thanks very much for your time and advice. Jason.

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects