Workshop
Ask a question

The Bunnings Workshop community can help with your home improvement projects.

Roses

Helen
Having an Impact

Roses

Does anyone know of curly leaf on roses? We had several severe frost days in a row, have lost a lot of plants. I pruned my roses after the heavy frosts quite hard as I didn't get them done last year! Two of the standards have a lot of curly leaf, have never seen this on roses before, they are old, planted in 1970's early 1980;s, they have plenty of flowers& buds, are they just getting old like me?

Re: Roses

Sorry for the sloooow reply @Helen crazy-busy time of year...
Ok, the photo is a bit blurry but I'm going to go with insect damage on emerging leaf-buds as I can see distinct chewing marks on some of the leaf edges.
Looks to me like the pruners used may have been a bit on the blunt side too as I can see damaged wood on the pruning cuts - always use sharp pruners otherwise you can end up with die-back.
Keep them well-fed & watered in the warm weather, watch out for anymore bugs & cross your fingers they throw a few flowers out for you.

Bookmark for next year but here's one of my early videos on rose pruning

Jason
Community Manager
Community Manager

Great advice @Adam_W, many thanks for sharing. I'm sure @Helen and other community members really appreciate the advice. 

Jason

See something interesting? Give it the thumbs up!
Helen
Having an Impact

No, I pruned after frosts, I couldn't see any frost damage on the roses. They have flowered well, just coming into bud again. Some new leaves have grown out from curly ones. There is a lot of dead wood & thinking of replacing those older ones.Thanks for your post!

Helen
Having an Impact

Thanks Adam_W, yes you are correct, my pruners need a good sharpen, now with all the dead wood I think I have caused their condition(sorryDad!) I will take some cuttings, thinking of replacing the older ones. Thanks for video, I know all this but it is a nice refresher, I shouldn't be so slack, it was a very rush job last winter!

Why join the Bunnings Workshop community?

Workshop is a friendly place to learn, get ideas and find inspiration for your home improvement projects